Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill
Well today could mark a major landmark in terms of Gay Rights in the UK.

For those of you who haven't been following the news (I admit I've not been following it as closely as perhaps I should be), today the UK parliament is considering making same-sex marriage legal in the UK.

I shan't know the outcome til I finish work as they only start voting at 7pm. So shall just keep my fingers and everything else crossed in the mean time.

I know even amongst the LGBT community there's some controversy around the issue. Some don't see that we should conform to "heteronormativity" by partaking in marriage. Others don't want to be "gay married" and just want to be "married" as the latter is more "equal" as opposed to something identifiable as gay-only or straight-only.

Here's hoping for the "right" outcome. I shall have to wait til I finish work later to find out what's happened.

---

Oh, and yesterday on the way back from a grocery trip, I passed two old ladies (they must have been in their 70s, bless 'em). They were rather passionately discussing gay marriage, and how being the same sex is irrelevant as far as love and long term commitment is concerned.

Faith in older, more conservative type people restored a little <3

I'm watching the debate in the House of Commons now on BBC parliament.
Ugh, can't believe the arguments being put forward against.
"It will downgrade marriage"
"Christians will be persecuted."
"It's been like that for hundreds of years"
"It will lower the importance of commitment in marriage."
"It's not what God wants!"

Just about all of the notable issues raised are not excuses worth voting against the bill for.
Put measures into the bill to protect the religious.
Also, there are worries that our current laws would not cover same-sex marriage adequately, no ones going to change the laws to accommodate same-sex marriage before it is legal, are they? It's a moot argument.

Well, a lot more people have spoken on it. Quite a few restoring some of my confidence in our political system.
*sigh of relief*
Confusedmile:

"It will downgrade marriage" - Divorce does this on a huge level already, ban it for straight people and see how they like being forced to stay in marriages that don't work.
"Christians will be persecuted." - Gays have been persecuted for many years, is it fair to persecute one group of people for because of the FAITH of other people?
"It's been like that for hundreds of years" - Slavery of those from other parts of the world was normal here for hundreds of years, people from the rest of the world who move here to live now get the same rights as everyone else and slavery is abolished. Society has evolved and will continue to do so for many years to come.
"It will lower the importance of commitment in marriage." - That's something on a personal level, many married STRAIGHT people aren't living up to the vows that they took when they got married and are seeing other people on the side.
"It's not what God wants!" - Love Thy Neighbour as Thyself, but hate on the ones that aren't straight? The existence of God has never been proven.

so when will we know the outcome ?

7.15pm GMT

MPs have voted for the bill by 400 to 175 - a majority of 225.

Source

So when / how does it become law in the UK?

pellaz Wrote:So when / how does it become law in the UK?

it has to go through the house of lords , which might take a while ~

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21346220

For those interested :-)

ObW
x

[Image: 563802_10152525828705594_416369389_n.png]