Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
English slang
There are words in slang English i dont know what they mean... to start with what shizzle my nizzle means? (excuse my spelling , dont know how to spell this) Sounds dirty.

Can you list other words in slang? I enjoy learning!...

Oh,you mean like how African Americans speak?That means for sure,my man.I think.Last year,a colleague of mine flew to Manchester City to watch Manchester United play some major football thingy(I dont follow soccer).He swears that those people don't speak English because their grammar contains so much slang that you don't know what is being said.Plus they said he spoke like a nobleman which cracked me up!

I dont know, everyone seems to talk in slang now.Wouldnt have guessed shizzle my nizzle means: for sure my man. Hmm... now i think about it i would but was expecting something dirty.... What a disappointment! Wink

If there is weird slang you don't know, I suggest looking it up in the urban dictionary (www.urbandictionary.com) .

To clarify, I believe "shizzle my nizzle" is an Americanism, not an Anglicism babe ...

English slang tends to be geographically-based in my experience, so cockney rhyming slang for broad-accented Londoners would be an example ... cockney rhyming slang being where expressions rhyme with the nouns they relate to so ...

I'm goin' up the apples 'n pears = I'm going up the stairs
Pass me the dog 'n bone = Pass me the telephone

And so on.

I've probably screwed those up, but that's my understanding of it ...

Most colloquial expressions from where I'm from are more of the "well I'll go te't foot of ahr stairs" variety (which is an expression meaning "Well I never" (as in, "How surprising !!")).

Other English Slang ... lemme think ...

There's loads - XRIMO has hit the nail on the head with the link to the Urban Dictionary which basically lists the lot, but it might be worth posting threads in one of the language forums asking what (such and such) means and seeing how people reply Confusedmile:.

I learned a new one (not in English mind you) today - "scalp" in French - it's "cuir chevelu" which literally-translated means "hairy leather" (!!!).

I Herz Languages :biggrin: Cool.

Confusedmile:.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

Living in Bristol means you hear alot of good slang words
THe best is "Holybegesus" which doesn't mean anything. But things like "Lets have a lens" which means 'can i have a look' are good but pointless. most slang it's made up so sometimes it means something and sometimes it don't. Some stupid girl wrote a book full of what was apparently "teen talk" and when i had a look i had never heard of over 95% of those words, i nother words the girl had made it up out of the top of her head and got lots of money from it. E.G. "Wallace" was a word which means to vomit as in Wallace and Gromit the animation character from BRISTOL!! So slang is generally made up for no reason.

Shadow Wrote:To clarify, I believe "shizzle my nizzle" is an Americanism, not an Anglicism babe ...
I've never heard it either, but then I'm only young and have lived a very sheltered life Rolleyes

Quote:English slang tends to be geographically-based in my experience, so cockney rhyming slang for broad-accented Londoners would be an example ... cockney rhyming slang being where expressions rhyme with the nouns they relate to so ...

I'm goin' up the apples 'n pears = I'm going up the stairs
Pass me the dog 'n bone = Pass me the telephone

And so on.

I've probably screwed those up, but that's my understanding of it ...
Having a Cockney mother may help here, gawd luvvus!
I haven't heard many people use the full phrases in rhyming slang for a long time. Normally, if used at all, the phrases are shortened to the first half. So, for example, you might as a child be yelled at to "get up them apples" or someone might request that you "answer the dog". Still, what do I know? I haven't lived in London for nearly 50 years, so this is really based on my experience of working in Westminster as a builder's labourer when I left school. You need to know the rest of the phrase in order to be able to guess at the rhymed intention. You can have a guess at which body parts are referred to as yer Barnet, yer plates and of course yer cobblers and yer Hampton ...

While I'd love to be prouder of my roots I do find Norfolk slang and dialect more endearing. I'm sure many gardeners have experienced problems with their sparrergrass from hodmadods, but are delighted at the bishy-barnaby season during aphid infestations. Rarely have I been stung by a jasper. It was more likely that I'd get wrong off the teacher at school.

What a load of ol' squit!

You want some northern ones?

I'll take that as a yes.

Dut = Hat
Parmo = Some disgusting chicken and cheese thing
Chuffed = To be pleased with ones current situation
Minger = ugly / bad / wrong / etc.
Yoryt = Not really a slang word, just a accent-ised greeting.

Oh and
Gay = Wrong, bad, stupid, a general insult. ¬_¬

What about some more northern ones,such as:
mafting - hot
nithered - freezing cold
mithering - moaning,whining,whingeing
bain - child
bray - beat up
lugs - ears
cheesed off - fed up
gone home - broken, worn out
or even...
fagged out - tired out (though you don't hear this one much nowadays,tha knows Cry

IanG Wrote:bain - child

Is that how you spell it then???
I never was sure. Always thought it was Bairn or Bern or sumat lol.