Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Peace
This is the first debate post I have ever done and, I thought that it would be interesting to get some different views on this question.Which you have probably guessed from the title has to do with world peace.But anyway here is my question,Do you think that given the violent and warlike nature of humanity that we will ever have world peace?

There will never be world peace. There will always be one person(nation) that will fuck it all up for everyone else. (Looks like North Korea will be getting the medal this year for that one.) World peace will only come when each person(nation) can have their own planet. Then we will have world peace and enter into planetary attacks and people will be wanting Universal Peace.

Never has been and never will be. While ever someone has something that someone else wants or there is religion, there will be conflict...therefore there will never be peace.

The Animal Kingdom ( Which humans prefer to distance themselves from, but in reality we are part of) in general will never be at peace Wink

Tim18 Wrote:This is the first debate post ever and, I thought that it would be interesting to get some different views on this question.Which you have probably guessed from the title has to do with world peace.But anyway here is my question,Do you think that given the violent and warlike nature of humanity that we will ever have world peace?

Oh sis, you just opened a can o worms lol.

Personally, I believe history will always repeat itself, albeit in different ways at times, but never-the-less repeated. Genocides, holocausts, discrimination, racism, wars, injustice and also good things as well such as improvements upon human infrastructure, such as with technology.

So to me, peace is a notion that only comes with acceptance of one's own being and enjoyment of the life that they've been given and how they choose to steer it. Not a form of nomenclature, in which it requires the systemic involvement of others in order for it to be attained.

Blacks struggled for freedom from the oppression of slavery, and yet even freed, they now struggle from the modern form of mental and sometimes physical slavery which results from an impoverished state of mind (I.e - "I'm black, so I gotta drop outta school and commit crimes and join a gang").

Same for women. Fought to be free of the control men had over them, but still seek men who have a lot of the qualities men of previous times had( domineering, powerful, masculine), at least to an extent.

You can change the words in a message, but it still is a message.

I hope for equality and change, but like hairstyles, they never stay in style for very long. (Greeks at one point were the epitome the peaceful harmonious lifestyle and then quickly became outdated and only has just begun to resemble itself in modern culture now.)

Don't be silly, the media played plenty of attention to the 2012 GOP primary. You have no excuse to not know world peace is impossible.

"There will be no curiosity, no enjoyment of the process of life. All competing pleasures will be destroyed. But always—do not forget this, Winston—always there will be the intoxication of power, constantly increasing and constantly growing subtler. Always, at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation of trampling on an enemy who is helpless. If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—forever."
—Part III, Chapter III, Nineteen Eighty-Four
Novel by George Orwell, Inner Party member O'Brien describes the Party's vision of the future

Once humanity wipes it self out there will be peace on earth.

I seriously doubt that humans will achieve this while being a living species.

Unless something drastically changes in the general make-up of humans, I cannot see a day without war, anger, hatred, killing, 'Us vs Them' mentality... humans are apparently hardwired for it.

We elves on the other hand only hate one species, that being humans. Oh wait, two species, Orcs... well actually we tolerate Orcs, we just dislike them... its not that boiling hatred like we have for humans....Wink

Nope.

Impossible.

I do think it's possible to make conflict rarer though.
How this can be achieved though?...*shrugs*

Never ever never. It's not in our makeup. We are savages at heart. It's a nice thought.....but that's all it is.

Mick

I hate to join the doom and gloom club here, but I agree that we are not likely to know world peace.

Still, I believe it is more than a nice thought. The goal of peace is one of humanity's highest purposes, even knowing it is next to impossible. Where would our societies be without people like Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr, Pete Seeger, John Lennon, Nelson Mandela, Desmond Tutu, Lech Walesa, Noam Chomsky, Thich Nhat Hahn, Vaclav Havel, the Dalai Lama, Howard Zinn...? The list goes on.

Conflict and violence are in our nature as a species. Thankfully, so is the urge to overcome them.

Well who knows, but war is not a nice thought with the weapons and technology we posses today. but how can you have world peace without change, and people will always protest.