Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
im a psychology student.
Sick and tired of hearing that from boys an girls who havent had a night away from there warm comfy bed in there whole life, but now youve sat in a classroom and read some texts book, that makes you a better expert on LIFE than me, i dont think so!

Honestly im worried, the sheer amount of times i heard this, usually all smug, wide-eyed (to emphasise how intelligent they are) and proud of themselves. It also worries me, cos its a load of crap, were making a load of these self-obsessed twits, who cant help people, just find a pill for every solution, failing to recognize any emotional or spiritual need in a person. Just regurgatating what professor so & so told them. Life has been my lesson and its endless.

If this annoys anybody i dont care, it annoys me too, and my opinion is set in stone!

Sorry this thread sort of hatefull but im fed up of hearing this all time, what do you expect to do with your degrees and what not, put it to any use or just feel superior over regular people. There are some really smart people but there likely to be a milkman or something.

My friend has told me a few times to do a psychology degree, I keep telling him no because advising a friend and a stranger are 2 different things.

Chas Wrote:My friend has told me a few times to do a psychology degree, I keep telling him no because advising a friend and a stranger are 2 different things.

That's so true, im glad you didn't go for it

I have had a few people like that in my life, Partisan.

They actually believe they have a handle on the subject and have magical insight. They will learn once they apply that education in a clinical manner that everything they know isn't really that great nor magical.

I call it the Ivory Tower Syndrome, where people who have lead what I deem a 'sheltered life' only read about real life experiences thus believe that from they safety of their sheltered life they have learned enough how to deal with X. This leads to an unrealistic approach or understanding of the real world.

It is a common phenomena. Upper management in large corporations become disconnected to what its like down in the mail-room or on the sales floor. Generals and Admirals and other top brass get disconnected from the realities of being in the trenches/front lines.

There is no real good replacement for literally walking a mile in the shoes of the person who has been there and done that.... Education, book learning, especially in a field with a lot of technical and clinical jargon that actually is designed to distance the student from the emotional horrors/realities of whatever the study is.

The Students you speak of will, eventually, get a better understanding as they do clinic duty, spend time in the trenches as it were and see the causalities of the war which we call life. It will dawn on them that their clinical studies, their approach is not going to help everyone and does little to make it possible for them to truly relate since if they did have a common frame of reference with each patient they would surely be driven madder than me.

Patience is a virtue - What they don't tell you is that you have to deal with a lot of morons and idiots and earn that patience... And then a lot of the time your patience is a matter of being a good illusionist, and not real patience - you just learn how to smile wisely and not rip off their heads and hand them back to them....:biggrin:

Yes i see B.A, like the cadets learn a lot of routine crap at training camp which they then have to unlearn when there chucked in the trenches and apply to actuall reality and common sense, like killing rats lol well im sure theres good ones out there that do help people.

Yes sir, very much like the Cadets.

My favorite are the students that tell their parents everything they did wrong raising a psychology student. The first mistake was raising a psychology student.

Chas Wrote:My friend has told me a few times to do a psychology degree, I keep telling him no because advising a friend and a stranger are 2 different things.

Thats true, one you get paid for the other you dont unless you charge your friends lol

I'm sorry I can't recall enough to find it again (with all those little details that are important to know), but there was a study done that showed the more training one had as a psychologist then the less effective they were at helping others. I personally found that unsuprising

I do know the one and only psychologist who helped me was free because she wasn't licensed yet. Though for what it's worth I suppose I should say she was a personal friend and also training to be a Jungian psychologist (though she'd taken a couple of years of basic psychology at a community college).