Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does it make me a bad person if...
I feel a bit awkward telling people "welcome to GS"?

Dont get me wrong I want everyone to feel welcomed here - thats really not the point. When Im on a message board I just like it when people are able to jump right in and be a part of the crowd. I guess saying stuff like welcome to GS and stuff like that seems too formal for me?

Plus I hate saying stuff that I dont feel sincere about too I guess. If someone is new and I dont really know them yet Im not really sure if I want to welcome them or not ya know? Yes Im totally overthinking this and well just deal with it cause I guess thats who I am. lol I do have trust issues so that plays into it. Just every time I type welcome to GS I want to hit the backspace button! I know I dont have to welcome people to GS but I do it cause everyone else does and I know its the friendly thing to do.

Oh and if anyone else does it, it doesnt bother me in the least. People are free to do as they like. Im not trying to tell others they are wrong for saying it since for them its probably sincere. Im just speaking for my own personal feelings.

I know the whole world doesnt revolve around me and my welcome or not people to GS. Its just something that has bothered me ever since I joined this website. i dont want people(especially new people) to think Im unfriendly bcs I dont welcome them.

IMO, you're ok. If someone is really going to get upset that not every single active member didn't give them a personal welcome then I expect they're not going to be here for long anyway. As long as plenty of others give welcome then all should be fine with the vast majority of people, especially as GS is such a busy site anyway.

And as for me personally I posted an intro thread to be polite and to give people some idea of who I was, why I was here, and all that, and hopefully show I wasn't a troll or spambot. I got a handful of polite welcomes and that was plenty for me. I didn't feel slighted at all that more people didn't post a welcome. Of course I'm not saying everyone is like me, some people probably hunger for more replies like plenty hunger for ever more FB likes and YT views, but I'm sure I'm not unique that way!

I agree with Pix. I've just joined and the welcome was very pleasant indeed, but that doesn't mean everyone has to join in.

I post on another, much ruder, forum, where the traditional greeting was expletive-off, noob, so this is much more civiilsed.

There's a special place in hell for people who don't welcome new GS members.... you son of a bitch.

Wade Wrote:There's a special place in hell for people who don't welcome new GS members.... you son of a bitch.

Roflmao

Thanks for that, I had to be careful not to wake anyone up with my laughing!

Wade Wrote:There's a special place in hell for people who don't welcome new GS members.... you son of a bitch.

Gee thanks Tongue

Not at all kitty. I do it about 50/50 and sometimes even less. Like you said its kind of formal, and if you do it a few times and never hear from them again, i think "why did i bother" like i mean, sometimes they dont even reply to there own welcome post and the people who made an extra effort to say hello, i find this RUDE tbh. Yeah so i do it SOMETIMES, but theres no need to worry, theres people here that,ll do it almost everytime. Your post made complete sense to me. Smile

"support forum"

Y u no show support?

Don't worry KawaiiKitty, there are a lot of people on this forum, and most introduction posts I've seen have been averaging about 10-20 "welcomes", so you're not the only one who doesn't feel the need :p And if it'd just be insincere, you shouldn't feel pressured to be that way.

I don't think there's any requirement to do so, and I can understand your reasoning for not wanting to. I think, as long as a few people introduce themselves and say hello/welcome, etc, it's okay not to do it yourself - they need to be acknowledged by someone.

All that matters is that when a new member arrives, they get the right impression - and when people are welcoming, it helps them to see what a friendly forum this is. I don't think it makes them see all the people who haven't welcomed them and think "gee, what a bunch of dicks".

But again, welcoming them doesn't matter too much, as long as you don't start bullying them once they post on other threads.
That would make you seem unfriendly Laugh

I often do not say 'hi and welcome' depends on how much time I have. I do try to thank their post to let them know someone read them.

But then I'm not a social creature anyways. In real life I don't shake hands nor wave at people.