Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad Habits / Addictions
So, when I was little I used to sit on my mum's lap and she would sit there gnawing on her fingernails. After a while it caught on with me... and I've been chewing my own nails ever since - about 16 years now.

Well last week I decided I'm fed up of my nails looking absolutely disgusting and stinging all the time. SO I stopped. I have tried to in the past... but failed miserably. But this time it's been a week and I actually have some kind of nails for once. Must admit I've had a few slip ups where I've bitten a tiny bit off but no major downfalls so far!

Has anyone else got any horrible habits and have they been able to break it yet?

Mine was also brought on by me sitting on my Momsy's lap!I don't know why but she always used to playfully nibble at my hair and I never used to mind.Now whether it's my nephews/nieces or Trey,I find myself nibbling away at their hair!It sounds disgusting,I know but I just can't stop doing it!

I recently got my tongue pierced and I keep flicking the metal stud against my teeth and I'm going to end up wearing away my enamel! *HELP*

I too am a nail-biter Smurlos. I have no clue what brought it on, but I tend to do it unconciously. Everyone tells me to stop, but I don't even notice myself doing it anymore. I think that I even bite them in my sleep when I'm stressed.
I have no clue at all how I can possibly break it when it feels out of my control.

Dan1089 Wrote:Mine was also brought on by me sitting on my Momsy's lap!I don't know why but she always used to playfully nibble at my hair and I never used to mind.Now whether it's my nephews/nieces or Trey,I find myself nibbling away at their hair!It sounds disgusting,I know but I just can't stop doing it!

Awwww I used to do that with my mum's hair til I knotted it up once... and she told me off *sobs*

How old were you then Smurls? Roflmao

I very rarely bite my nails... Just don't like doing it.

As for habits... trying to think... used to squint a lot, which my Mum thinks was brought on by my junior school headteacher who she noticed squinted often when she had meetings up there (parents evenings etc). I sometimes still have bouts of it... but at least now I start realising when I'm doing it.

I also tend to tug at my trousers / jeans etc when I'm nervous... no idea why or when it started... but usually if I've got nothing occupying my hands during the nervous time... they get tug happy!

Dan1089 Wrote:How old were you then Smurls? Roflmao

Just before the fingernail biting started thank you :tongue: he he!

wouldlikemuscle Wrote:I very rarely bite my nails... Just don't like doing it.

As for habits... trying to think... used to squint a lot, which my Mum thinks was brought on by my junior school headteacher who she noticed squinted often when she had meetings up there (parents evenings etc). I sometimes still have bouts of it... but at least now I start realising when I'm doing it.

I also tend to tug at my trousers / jeans etc when I'm nervous... no idea why or when it started... but usually if I've got nothing occupying my hands during the nervous time... they get tug happy!

Awww how cute Confusedmile: I rub my hands together (and they're always cold and sweaty) when I'm nervous. And look to the ground wishing I could just disappear!

I was the nail bitter and my sister the thumb sucker.

I dont remember when I quit but just stopped one day.

My worse habit was smoking cigs. I started with clove but didnt find myself addicted... when I moved to Japan I started smoking tobacco (because everyone was doing it) and when I moved to San Francisco I quit cold turkey (because no one smokes in SF).

Smurlos Wrote:And look to the ground wishing I could just disappear!
Aww...really?When I get nervous I stare at the person in the eye & keep focused on them.After a while,they look away.