Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP! I need ideas from classroom activities
I'm a high school teacher and I'm always looking for ideas for classroom activities.

I have the toughest students (ages 16 - 19) you can possibly imagine and it's not easy to motivate them.

Any tips or suggestions would be more than welcome, guys. (subjects: economy, tourism)

A couple of ideas that worked really well recently:

- Music archive (they had to listen to 100 mp3 files and organize them)

- Film archive

- Ride on the local ho-ho bus

- Treasure hunt at shopping centre

- Treasure hunt at the local book fair

- Movie session (it's tough to find a suitable movie for these kids, though)

- Assembly of IKEA products (subject: logistics)

- iPad

What, pray, is a bloody Ho-Ho Bus!

And these places you took them on a treasure hunt, behave well did they?

Superglue the little bastards feet to the floor!

Hmm. I'd make them work, give them a blank globe of the world (no national boundaries) and then use magazine clippings to make 'nations' based on what tourism takes place in that nation/region.

Thus for France Paris would be the Arch, the Eiffel tower, etc. London: Parliament, Tower bridge, etc.

Or conversely have them make a map of the local home town and 'invent' tourist spots and devise methods to cater to the needs of the tourists while keeping the native population happy.

If they are allowed off of school grounds, let them use their cell-phone cameras and take pictures of local 'tourist traps' or what could be tourist traps.

If you want use the technology have them use google maps to isolate tourist hotspots already and go take pictures and make up brief descriptions of why these are tourists spots.

Then have them suggest other local places that are off the beaten trail that non-locals may actually find interesting - such as a mom/pop restaurant that locals love but few tourists find.

As for economics, let them start their own tourist business based on non-tourist spots in the local area, and based on known data from similar places on earth that are tourist traps, devise a predicted income/profit of their potential tourist trap.

da hell is wrong with you people xD

don't do something like "let's all talk to each other" and "spiritual" stuff, just let them have fun so they remember the fun time they had and that way they'll remember all they learned, I know it's not easy, but at least is more helpfull that telling you to superglue them to the floor lol

Perhaps you should go back to the basics.

Something vague that they have to reach their own conclusions for. Also, I'm a fan of art.

MisterLove Wrote:I'm a high school teacher and I'm always looking for ideas for classroom activities.

I have the toughest students (ages 16 - 19) you can possibly imagine and it's not easy to motivate them.

Any tips or suggestions would be more than welcome, guys. (subjects: economy, tourism)

A couple of ideas that worked really well recently:

- Music archive (they had to listen to 100 mp3 files and organize them)

- Film archive

- Ride on the local ho-ho bus

- Treasure hunt at shopping centre

- Treasure hunt at the local book fair

- Movie session (it's tough to find a suitable movie for these kids, though)

- Assembly of IKEA products (subject: logistics)

- iPad

You have posted this before back in May why don't you re check your old posts and see what people suggested then.

You could get them to
Design and make a bored game
Basic DIY
Gardening Project
Money Mangerment

Please tell me what's a Ho Ho bus?
An eye for an eye

I still don't know what a Ho-Ho Bus is!

Get them involved in a community project for charity...maybe help running a festival or faire or community event.....teamwork builds character

zbar Wrote:Get them involved in a community project for charity...maybe help running a festival or faire or community event.....teamwork builds character

Definitely a great idea.