Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Self-deleted accounts...
Are accounts that show as a "Self-deleted account..." really so?

I mean, I'm sure there are bound to be some users who take such measures for whatever reasons exist, but is it possible that some of them are deleted by site moderator's, and if so, shouldn't those one's be listed as a "Moderator-deleted account..." instead?

It's just weird having regulars of whom you're used to seeing contribute their 2 cents in threads, and then randomly just disappear into a status of being a "Self-deleted account..." without any notice from them beforehand.

There have been more than a few self-deleted accounts recently, which is unfortunate. Some have left because of misunderstandings, which is sad.

As far as I know, Andy is the only moderator/administrator for the site. When he bans someone (which has been very rare) all posts and threads started by them are deleted from the site. I doubt he can or would ban someone and have it show as "self-deleted".

Anyone know why TKC left? He was fairly new, but I appreciated his posts.

I was under the impression that any member with a deleted account, whether by choice or no, would show as self-deleted. I like to think that the horrible, terrible people that deserve to be banned took the noble high road and fucked off on their own, without Andy needing to pretend they did it on their own.

Geminize Wrote:Anyone know why TKC left? He was fairly new, but I appreciated his posts.

TKC sent me a pm before he left. GS was just taking up too much of his time, which is why he deleted his profile.

I think the important thing is that an individual has taken what they can.

In life too, there are people who will seek your assistance and help but not knowing how to appropriately end the relationship simply sever all ties.

Best to wish them well and move on too.

I don't get why entire accounts have to be deleted to ban someone? Granted, that's a good way to permanently remove someone.. but removing all of their posts, especially if they have hundreds / thousands seems a bit much in my opinion.

I wish them well though.. whether they come back eventually or move on elsewhere.

VileKyle Wrote:TKC sent me a pm before he left. GS was just taking up too much of his time, which is why he deleted his profile.

That's too bad. I wish he could just take a break instead of deleting his profile permanently. :frown:

It was always my impression that if you are banned you are wiped out of the memory of the site if not the memory of the members. Every person I know who had their account banned was wiped from memory - everything they posted vanished.

I'm of two minds on that, a lot of what some of the banned people said was worthy commentary/threads/posts. Granted by the time they got banned their trolly jumped the tracks - but I assume Andy doesn't have time to go through a person's account and sort through the pile and toss out the abusive/slanderous/nasty stuff and leave behind the gems.

This self delete thing has been done by people 'heat of the moment' then they come back with their tail between their legs and make a new account. I find that to be a wee bit annoying, immature and a few other things.

Self restraint appears to be a dying trait in this world. I have seen similar with Facebook and other forums/sites where people have the option to close/delete their account/membership. And usually when they do it its over something petty/stupid.

Blue self deleted because he was trying to hide his internet trail. I know this one personally. He has also closed other accounts and deleted files on the net. Email accounts, membership accounts to other forums. All in an attempt to hide who and what he was.

I have to wonder if the same mindset is going on, people self deleting themselves in hopes of wiping out their trail?

Tyrion Wrote:I don't get why entire accounts have to be deleted to ban someone? Granted, that's a good way to permanently remove someone.. but removing all of their posts, especially if they have hundreds / thousands seems a bit much in my opinion.

I wish them well though.. whether they come back eventually or move on elsewhere.

It's an automated script to make dealing with spammers (who account for most of the bans) much easier.

maybe this forum needs more moderators . if there were people other than andy to check out what posts need to be got rid of then it'd probably be easier and it wouldn't be necessary to delete every single post when someone is banned ...