Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do we rid society of gay stereotypes?
I'm gay. I'm not neat. I hate fashion and shopping isn't my thing. My voice is masculine. So how do we get this message out that gay people like me exist?

We can spread the message we exist just by living are lives, and spreading it are selves.

Tim18 Wrote:We can spread the message that we exist just by living are lives, and spreading it are selves.

That's not working fast enough.

Most people are aware non-stereotypical gay people exist, it just seems in popular media gay people tend to get depicted stereotypically to make them instantly recognisable as gay.

This has the side effect of making people think the stereotype is more prevalent than it really is.

That's how I see things anyway.

Most minorities suffer similar fates in popular media.

Ghandi said it best;

"Be the Change you want to see in the World"

But that doesn't mean the world will change to the way you see fit, it means, what you want out of the world is what you need to put into it, to ultimately give you the satisfaction you aspire to.

Life is not perfect, so you cannot be rid of anything really. The good must always come with the bad. Yin and Yang.

Simple really :3 ^o^

One word: Education! Wink

I have a funny thing to share. Nope, I'm sarcastic, but it's sad and true:

1 - In Italy we are very evoluted, and If someone plays a gay role in a movie or something, he is like a girl that screams and dance all the time.
When a gay man is a good person, not a screaming girl or a psychopath, he obviously expresses his feelings proving to have a brain of the size of a peanut.

2 - And sorry for the girls of GS, but in Italy we haven't lesbians, we're not yet in the future...

3 - Oh, and transvestites an transexual... they're the worst, they sell drugs and diseases sexually transmitted. But only in the fiction and in the popolar culture, cause in reality a very big portion of our homophobic italian politicians loves to take big brazilian trans penises in their straight assess.

the previous generation of glbt people being in the closet has not helped develop a good gay culture. Marriage and general inclusion will change the game plan.

"How do we rid society of gay stereotypes?"

The only sure fire way there is.....

Make me Supreme Ruler.
[Image: bast.jpg]

Round up all the gays that act in stereotypical manner and hide them from public view.

Hell it worked with insane relatives for many generations - that is why attics and cellars were made.

Look - we can't change society's perceptions of 'us' - making stereotype comments and statements illegal doesn't work. Throwing Political Correctness at people doesn't work - none of that stuff tried to change the minds of people have worked.

Let them have their opinions. I bet you have opinions of them as well.