Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Government Should make us fit?
A friend of mine was living in japan and there was a spike in obesity exercise. Do you think that the government where ever you are should also do this?

I personally think that people should try to stay in shape (Commonsense)
But I wouldn't complain if the government implemented such policies. I think it'd be kinda neat tbh get all the fatties not so fat. NZL could use a policy to make all of our fatties not so fat. u.u

Quote:There has been a rise in obesity in New Zealand adults in recent decades - from 9% (males) and 11% (females) in 1977 to 27.7% and 27.8% respectively in 2008/09.

The most recent obesity figures for adults were released in September 2011 in A Focus on Nutrition: Key Findings of the 2008/09 NZ Adult Nutrition Survey.

The most recent obesity figures for children were released in June 2008 in A Portrait of Health: Key Results from the 2006/07 NZ Health Survey.

The next obesity figures for both adults and children will be released in late 2012, based on the results of the next New Zealand Health Survey.

The 2008/09 New Zealand Adult Nutrition Survey found that:

one in three adults were overweight (37.0%) and one in four were obese (27.8%).
The 2006/07 New Zealand Health Survey found that:

one in five children aged 2 to 14 years were overweight (20.9%) and one in twelve was obese (8.3%).

I don't think that anything should be enforced. That would be going against our rights in most "free" countries. It also reminds me of when I was in the military... never again. However, it would be nice of the government to provide services for people. If people were given the choice and opportunity to get into shape, maybe they would. It still should be a choice though.

The government should enforce better regulations on food company, damn they are so immoral, putting needless baddies in our food just to make money. They dont care as long as they make a profit

People should also be responsible for themselves.

I mean when you eat healthy you actually feel better, your tummy is much happier after a pasta salad than it is after big mac & french fries.

tavi Wrote:The government should enforce better regulations on food company, damn they are so immoral, putting needless baddies in our food just to make money. They dont care as long as they make a profit

People should also be responsible for themselves.

I mean when you eat healthy you actually feel better, your tummy is much happier after a pasta salad than it is after big mac & french fries.

In this day and age it seems that everyone thinks that it is the responsibility of the Government. What happened to self control? I agree with you Tavi that the Government should place restrictions on all fast and incredibly unhealthy food but in the end the onus is on the individual. If you get fat and suffer from diabetes, smoke and suffer from lung cancer, don't exercise and suffer heart disease DON'T BLAME IT ON THE GOVERMENT! Switch off the TV, get up from the sofa and start to do something to help yourself.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

No, because the government is composed of idiots. There isn't an idea so good that the government can't make a mess out of it or even make it counterproductive. Plenty of times government is either a cure worse than the disease or it IS the disease masquerading as its own cure.

Probably in this case they'd use that horrible BMI measurement which has so many flaws it's absurd. And here in the states some schools HAVE used it as part of government programs which is wrong, because the BMI is NOT scientific or accurate, and the doctors that still use that BS should be ashamed.

And btw, here in the states anyway the government has a hand in the obesity that exists. Back when schools first got started, which were for very selfish reasons that were NOT about the children put in them, the schools implemented fattening school lunches to increase soldiers. Back then there weren't refrigerators or dependable food sources like today (plus the lack of mechanical vehicles, tractors, and appliances made people work out more, too) so that plenty of women weren't able to have healthy babies while many men weren't fit to draft which the military pretty much did back then whenever it wanted. Therefore they intentionally made school meals fattening, and also added PE/gym classes to aid in physical fitness as well as a prelude to the military, though females got less intensive version not only because they weren't meant for the military but because having more fat meant more healthy babies. It was done with the care a rancher has for his cattle.

Since then there have been a great many changes so that malnourishment (at least from starvation) is no longer a problem (at least not compared to when the program first started) while inactivity due to our heavy technology (plus helicopter parents, society intolerant of kids having fun such as being against skateboarding, etc) with plentiful access to food (and fattening food at that, especially with the influence of the sugar & milk industries) has radically changed bodies while government, as usual, is too slow to adapt (especially in schools) and therefore on top of that the kids are still getting the intentionally fattening foods. They're STARTING to change that (removal of snack machines, for example) but there are a lot of special interests involved as well as general government apathy that makes it a painfully slow ongoing process.

The UK government already snoop and pry in to our personal lives at an unprecedented level.

Don't encourage them!

There's an argument for better control of the food that we buy, maybe taxing stuff that's got too much sugar, fat or salt in it.

Then you could charge people whose lifestyles land them in hospital, from extreme sports to obesity, smoking and alcohol. Why should everyone else pay for their sins?

Exercise classes should be implemented in schools from kindergarten all the way through college. They should be standardized. In the USA, physical education classes used to be something you HAD to take in order to graduate. Since I had graduated, I have been told this has changed. Physical ed classes are now elective.

ALL companies should also have exercise facilities for their employees to exercise. Gyms are expensive and most people cannot afford the over priced facilities.

The government should also force food companies to limit the amount of by-products, fillers, salt, sugar, starch, additives, and chemical enhancers to produced foods in the USA. Most manufactured/produced foods in the USA are nothing but salt, sugar, and heavy amounts of starches and chemicals. Food production companies here need to be forced to use as much TRUE all natural methods as possible, to produce foods. This would cut down on the amount of garbage people are eating and causing health problems, which in turn causes the health industry to get over burdened and charge more astronomical prices for healthcare. It would also cause less food waste, as companies would only produce what is necessary, not produce more than what consumers are buying and then throwing it away.

Then you have to take into consideration that all people are not fat because they want to be, thats how their genes have developed. They dont overeat, they dont sit on their butts all day, but they keep getting fatter...and its all how their bodies developed....not what they do to themselves.

There are a lot of variables in this to consider, before you just call everybody FAT and force them to exercise to death.

Nah, it's not up to the government to keep the population fit. I really can't stand seeing fat children though. Not because I have anything against obese people but it infuriates me that parents would be irresponsible enough to let their kids become unhealthily large. So in schools I'm all for mandatory P.E class, but once you're an adult you can't expect anyone else to take care of your problem.

Yes but the government still have a say. Is it democracy or government that translates as "for the people"

Anyway yeah, they have slight, even if small say. the rest is down to us.

Like why cant they have "healthy fast food" its possible.

But no our motorway have Mcdonalds after Mcdonalds.

The government could help.