Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Depressed today
I try to be a positive guy everywhere I go, partially to help lift others up and partially because I know I'm prone to bouts of depression myself. It's not working too well the last couple days and I feel like I'm starting into a downward slide again, andI want to pull back a little bit.

I had a fight with my ex-wife a couple nights ago. We usually get along, in spite of the past, because we're both just still trying to live better lives than when we were together. She said some negative things about the kids and I just went off on her for once. It ended with both of us telling the other to f*** off. I can live with it and feel good about what I told her, but it's definitely contributing to my mood.

Then there's the guy I've been seeing. It started well enough, but I'm seeing warning signs now and red flags all over the place. We started out actually dating and doing fun things together. Lately I get just one or two texts in a day, then an apology later that he's been busy. The apology seems to lead up to him wanting sex, followed by a few more days of silence. I'm not going to stand for it because I know better, but I had pretty high hopes so it's got me down.

I pretty much know what I need to do in my life. Lose the jerk, stand up to the bitch, and keep it together for myself and my daughter. I could just use a little pick me up.

Do you live near the sea? A walk on the seaside can do wonders.

And if you go with your daughter, even better! Smile

Don't worry, things will get better - they always do.

Do you have any hobbies? Usually when I feel down I try to distract myself with something. For me it's either gaming or coding. If I allow myself to think about my problems for too long it makes it even worse. Just like MisterLove said, long walks are also great for when you're feeling down. Long periods of exercise help release endorphins, your body's natural pain killer and anti-depressant. Walking almost always works for me Smile

Yeah, thanks guys. Getting ready to break out the woodworking tools and get some progress made on the desk I started a while back.

I don't live anywhere near the sea, but the weather's nice for an Ohio October day. I may try to get out a little later.

I have no idea what brand of depression you have.

Apparently its the brand that kicks in and acts up when you focus on crap. So its shitty depression?

Some escapism is therapeutic - what do you do to disengage from reality - where is your happy place?

Perhaps you should go there for a wee while and let the crap reality stew in its own juices without your attention.

No it won't solve the 'crap' stuff going on, but it will allow you a chance to take a few breaths and allow your mind and heart to catch up so you may be able to better manage the unmanageable in your life.

At least you know what your 'problems' are (wife, BF, blah). That is really a good place to be. Granted you could/maybe/possibly do something to change these - but don't focus on that and forget that you have done remarkably well to this point.

Hmm Pat yourself on your back for having it together enough to know what is troubling you.

Fisher,
I know how it is to be depressed, I'm sure we all do. My advice is to remember what is currently good in your life. You have much to offer the world, and your daughter. Even if you can't go for a walk on the seashore, just step out into the sunshine. Feeling the sun, the wind, or even the rain reminds you of how things change over time. Just be yourself, love the good in your life, and do something you enjoy. You'll be alright, and you always have us on GS to talk to!

I honestly don't know what sort of depression it would technically be called, but I do know that at times I can slip into a long term funk that lasts for weeks, or even months in a few cases. Yes, sometimes there's a root cause that sets things off, but sometimes I feel crappy even when things are going well for long periods. So I tend to think it's more than just being sad over a few setbacks in life.

My computer desk has a shelf underneath for the tower now, and it helped to get busy. That was a good idea. Going to fix some sandwiches and try to get out in the sunshine while it's still sunny.

I appreciate people taking the time to read. It will pass I'm sure.

Are you okay?

Yeah, doing better.

We are all here for you. Feel free to PM me if you ever want to chat.
An eye for an eye