Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Australia repeal same sex marriages
Not sure if this has already been posted.

I feel really sad, more so for the LGBT couples who have gotten married, and now find their marriages void. This may have set LGBT rights back years in Oz Sad

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25344219

ObW
X

That indeed is a very, very sad event.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Voting for the ultra conservative Tony Abbott as Prime minister has set Australia back several decades, not just same sex equality.

It was a fore gone conclusion that this would happen and the only sad thing is our Leader is a symbol of how fucking stupid Australian's really are to trust this bigotted conservative to move the country forward when he doesn''t even support his own lesbian sister's relationship.

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/austr...arry211013

Same thing happened in California, Gay marriage legal for a short while, then over turned, more infighting, politics and voting and now I understand marriage is back on.

One doesn't simply upturn the traditions of 2000+ years and call the day done. There is always a time of swinging back and forth and rallying and idiots foolishly trying to halt progress.

I don't follow Oz politics closely, but I get the general impression Gay Marriage is not the only thing that has been affected by the change in power. Clearly the people of Oz were wanting change of some sort and are getting it.

Oz is like Amerika in that its a two pole political system, the people get tired of one pole and switch to the opposite, get tired of that and switch back to the other pole. The US does this all the time too.

From what I see, the general public (humans in general) are black and white not shades of grey and as long as they can't see a more centrist approach to things these swings in politics are just going to keep going on and on.

Reforms in society take time to take permanent root. Eventually gay marriage will just be and no one will attempt to halt it anymore. Give it another 2 decades.

Dame Edna for pm possums.

mmmm....

it's a bit weird cause if the legality of gay marriage is only being revoked now, the marriage licenses extended when it was legal should be valid nevertheless..then again i can't say I know how the law works in other places..

Oh, well, if this conservative government has it banned, then the next liberal one will have it unbanned..minor setback for now, and, in the end they will end up embracing it fully...

Another reason I hate government. It's the most ass backwards system in the world.

It really isn't that bad, in a way I'm kinda of happy that its happened because it shows just how much of a joke Tony abbot is and how out of touch with the general population is.

I would be willing to bet that all of Australia will have same-sex marriage within two years.

If it had only been just the one state it might not had caused such an uproar in other states and might have been only there for a longer time.

Also the traditions of marriage (as we know it currently) really aren't that old.

Undreamt Wrote:It really isn't that bad, in a way I'm kinda of happy that its happened because it shows just how much of a joke Tony abbot is and how out of touch with the general population is.

I would be willing to bet that all of Australia will have same-sex marriage within two years.

If it had only been just the one state it might not had caused such an uproar in other states and might have been only there for a longer time.

Also the traditions of marriage (as we know it currently) really aren't that old.

and what sort of wager would you like to put on that? (Under the assumption that Tony Abbott will actually still be PM in 2 years time and we don't have a double disillusion early next year)

dfiant1 Wrote:and what sort of wager would you like to put on that? (Under the assumption that Tony Abbott will actually still be PM in 2 years time and we don't have a double disillusion early next year)

lol well that changes the odds considerably.

even without a double dissolution election I'd still say the odd are at about 60% in favor of gay marriage being legal in Australia befor the next election.

I don't know what bets you can make online that you can hold someone to.

How about full body wax below the neck?