Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Australia creates the first gay ATMs
They've been criticised by both homophobes and gays, in the latter case, for perpetrating gay stereotypes:

https://www.social.anz.com/mardigras/

http://www.fastcocreate.com/3026968/a-ba...-gay-pride
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I'm not so sure about these but companies should definitely invest more in gay customers, it's a great market.

easyJet did an exclusive promotion for gay couples recently with excellent results.

silly and useless.

meridannight Wrote:silly and useless.

I feel the same way about it

meridannight Wrote:silly and useless.

They might possibly be silly but I don't think you could call them useless since they have a very practical use. The only other thing I can say in their favour is that a national bank has actually had the incentive, recognising the power of the pink dollar and thus accepting the existence of LGBTs. Quite an advance of what used to be a very homophobic society.

Rainbows, unicorns, jewels... do they think we're 10 YO girls?

I found it offensive.

I was going to say at least it's for a good cause since the sure charge goes to lgbt charities, until I saw the atm, WTF? I doubt anyone will be using it now.
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

Anyone from Sydney care to comment?

My personal opinion is that they are OTT. They need to be toned right down. I would only use them if I needed money and no other option was available.

At first I thought it was something permanent and I did not understand it, because there is a reason most glbt businesses exist and that is to offer something we can't get at mainstream businesses. Gay bars came into existence because if you went to a straight bar or nightclub looking for a date or hookup or wanted to dance or hold hands with your partner, you were either going to be kicked out or have your ass kicked. Gay bookstores came along because there few businesses out there that were willing to sell gay-oriented reading material. Gay restaurants for a place to take a date or hang out with gay friends. Gay coffee shops because they have kind of become the alternative to bars for a social gathering place. I did not understand the gay atm, because they are not going to dispense gay money.

It is something temporary for the Sydney gay and lesbian Mardi Gras and the fees go to the cause, but I would feel better about it if it was designs that highlighted the symbols of the civil rights battle like a simple pride flag design or the red marriage symbol or if the designs somehow incorporated the events in history or civil rights leaders important to the struggle, something that would educate people.

it gives lazy homophobes a place to hang around instead of searching to beat up gay people and also earn a bit of money on the side if they catch us coming away from the atm - plus it looks like Hello Kitty threw up all over it lol