Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The idea of a family isn't appealing to me
I look at straight couples who have been together harmoniously for decades. They fit so well. Someone makes money. Someone manages house chores. Someone spends more time with children. It takes two to raise a family. Compromises are necessary and assumed. These couples are deeply connected with each other's family and relatives. They are one family in a way.

But the point is I don't find that lifestyle appealing. A good relationship to me is a two person romantic relationship. Mostly just the two of us. Physical attraction is a central piece of it. Instead of having children, I would prefer to enjoy life with my guy. Eating out, traveling, taking good care of ourselves, outdoor fun. It's about livin a good life. I feel that career driven couples can't be the old stereotypical couple in this economy. No one wants to sacrifice their career. Of course they also don't get the joy of a traditional family.

Am I an outlier? What are your thoughts on this?

I used to want a family, and then I started to travel, and found out how enjoyable that is, so I'm just fine not having one.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

I think one of the hidden bonuses of being gay is not having the pressure of starting a family. Fuck that shit. Unless that's what you want... then... yay! Families!

I find the idea of having a family terribly unappealing. I'm not cut out for it. I don't want to bring lives into this world only to fuck them up with my own twistedness and incompetence. That's not fair to them

I knew a long time ago that kids were not in the cards for me, and I'm totally cool with that. For me, my relationship with my partner, and our menagerie of pets (3 dogs and a cat) is my family, and I wouldn't change that for anything. Some guys believe that the fact that they're gay precludes them from having children. This isn't true. There are plenty of children in foster care looking for adoptive parents, and surrogacy can be an option. If you don't want kids, there's nothing wrong with that. But don't let your sexual orientation be the thing that stops you.

It's far better to know what you don't want and not go down a certain "traditional" road rather than to give in and end up regretting something that not only involves you, but other lives brought into the world.

a lot of straights are not the stereotypical staright couples, so what makes you special. Yes, this is a serious question.

I wonder why poofs actually think they are special sometimes.

You don't want family...big deal, smile and get over it Wink

I dont mind having a child... As long as the society (in the future) would be more accepting.

You dont really know how it feels until you have them. I think it would be fulfilling to raise someone but I dont want my kid to be bullied or ridiculed by his or her classmates

It's a personal choice though

Relationships are about compromise. While you should have many common interests not all will be the same so if you want it to work you need to be flexible.

That said, if you are strongly against something, bring it up early on so as he knows how you feel.

I had a family. It was the most rewarding experience of my life, and I would do it again.

But it's not for everybody. Many people, gay or straight, opt not to have children, some so that they can have a better lifestyle, some so that they can travel, others for other reasons. Its simply a personal choice.

It's nothing new. It was popular in France for decades. Then it caught on here back in the 80's. I don't think it ever really went away.