Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it really Gays vs. Religion?
Every time I see anything having to do with religion on a media website that caters to political progressives or LGBT individuals, it seems like I can already predict the comments will be condemning all religion, God, etc. It's even worse when I end up commenting anything that's remotely optimistic about these religious structures. Now, I'm not blind towards how officials of many religions treat homosexuality, bisexuality, etc.

Catholicism/Christianity and its general view of homosexuality has contributed heavily towards exactly why I currently don't agree with any religious organizations. But sometimes, I think that we forget about the fact that just here in the United States alone, over half of self-professed Christians support marriage equality (I'm talking about both Mainstream Protestants and Catholics) and yet, when I saw an article about how "75% of all Americans believe the Bible is the Word of God", all I saw were negative and demeaning comments, all of which I would easily deplore if I heard them in public despite being openly gay.

I don't support homophobia and in fact during the 2012 election, I voted for Democrats (Obama), Libertarians, and Greens and when the ticket for sheriff only showed a Republican, I chose not to vote for anyone so politically, I happen to be a progressive. I also went to a school run by Baptists so you can just imagine the homophobic instances that happened there. So there is no reason for you to think that I'm at all a member of GOProud or the Log Cabin Republicans, I'm not even a Libertarian, let alone conservative, I only voted for Libertarians since the one other person who ran was a Republican (I'm that spiteful).

But back to the topic at hand (for me at least), is anyone else annoyed about this? Most of my friends are Christians and when I came out, it was the people who I knew from my Baptist middle school who supported me the most - also, if there's anything I see on my Facebook timeline about gay rights, it's always something in support. Maybe I'm just fortunate enough to have the company of people in my general age group since we tend to be more liberal on these issues, but really, that's why I get pissed when people who are supposedly like myself politically and in terms of sexual orientation end up bashing all Christians or adherents of religion since I know that as a group, we're better than that and the truth being that many of those people are supporters, not haters. I mean, if I wanted to bash anyone and everyone who doesn't believe in the same things I do or automatically stereotype that certain people who are against me, then I'd join PETA like all the other vegetarians/vegans and engage in their ignorant, indiscriminate acts as well!

So yes, that was a rant. But how about your thoughts? Cat2

Scary topic lol!

I'd have to agree that most LGBT, polyamorous, atheist, vegan, hipster, insert-other-group-here people, that I know personally spend a HUGE majority of their time putting down other people and fluffing their chests out in superiority because they think of themselves as more "open-minded" than everyone else. Ironically, their behaviour proves otherwise. This is why I do not spend time with them or go to their group things. It's a large reason why I choose to only have a few friends and I don't participate in "the scene". They're not unlike religious zealots which spend most of their time focused on what's "bad" instead of worrying about themselves.

I'm not a fan of Christianity myself and I actually have some strong opinions against it, but if I expect others to respect my beliefs, I feel that I need to respect theirs as long as they aren't hurting anyone. This means I don't go around bashing others. Humility, anyone? And if we actually listen to people who have differing beliefs, just now and again, we might learn something.

Yes, I am a very logical person, but I also think that there are other things which are equally important as logic.

I think the internet has made possible this current trend of people trying to sound really intelligent. There are so many armchair philosophers and scientists out there and everyone thinks they are an expert in everything. It's right there alongside the selfie-queens on social-networking sites and forum trolls. Just the ugly side of the Internet.

Don't pay them any mind and just go on your way. Smile

Uneunsae Wrote:I'd have to agree that most LGBT, polyamorous, atheist, vegan, hipster, insert-other-group-here people, that I know personally spend a HUGE majority of their time putting down other people and fluffing their chests out in superiority because they think of themselves as more "open-minded" than everyone else. Ironically, their behaviour proves otherwise. This is why I do not spend time with them or go to their group things. It's a large reason why I choose to only have a few friends and I don't participate in "the scene". They're not unlike religious zealots which spend most of their time focused on what's "bad" instead of worrying about themselves.

I'm not a fan of Christianity myself and I actually have some strong opinions against it, but if I expect others to respect my beliefs, I feel that I need to respect theirs as long as they aren't hurting anyone. This means I don't go around bashing others. Humility, anyone? And if we actually listen to people who have differing beliefs, just now and again, we might learn something.

Yes, I am a very logical person, but I also think that there are other things which are equally important as logic.

I think the internet has made possible this current trend of people trying to sound really intelligent. There are so many armchair philosophers and scientists out there and everyone thinks they are an expert in everything. It's right there alongside the selfie-queens on social-networking sites and forum trolls. Just the ugly side of the Internet.

Don't pay them any mind and just go on your way. Smile

I DO agree with you there Smile

artyboy Wrote:Scary topic lol!

agreed, but I'll be brave this time.

I grew up around Christians and went to a non denominational church but I guess it all depends on where you live. it seems like a lot of church's in the south do not support lgbt at all, the church I went to accepted former gang-bangers, prostitutes, pimps, drug dealers, and adulterers but mention to someone that you are gay or at one point had a same sex partner and you just might get thrown out of the church. they still see it as something evil that the devil somehow planted in that person. sadly I still haven't figured out how to have a relationship without everyone knowing, I know it shouldn't matter and I should be able to be open about it but I really don't like confrontation and I don't know if I'll be able to handle all the drama it would cause. Sad
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

artyboy Wrote:I DO agree with you there Smile

AHHHH!! I mean I Do agree, time for bed I think lol!

I'm gay christian and happy

Not sure if I want to get into this or not, but that usually doesn't stop me...

What I see too often in comments about religion is painting with too broad a brush. Not sure whether it was linked here or somewhere else, but I was reading an article this morning about the possibility of schism in the Methodist church over same sex marriages. It was obvious just a short way into the article that instead of being a group A versus group B thing it is about groups A-R or worse. Even in Roman Catholicism, one of the more monolithic denominations, there are so many factions that a single viewpoint or a single reply to the issue would be nearly impossible. The pope could put his foot down, but it would not stop the bickering. Never has. So we really come down to a situation where individuals within a denomination such as the Methodists or the Catholics, or individuals within a religion, such as Judaism or Islam or Buddhism express an opinion and someone takes it as the pronouncement of the entire realm of religion. Once you realize that this is what is happening, the blanket pronouncements reading. "Christianity says this." or "Islam says that." become simply ridiculous. What the OP seems to be saying is that in the smaller, more singular experience, there is the possibility of acceptance and support. In fact, it becomes a matter of particular humanity instead of universal religion.
I bid NO Trump!

There is good reason that etiquette requires that at a social function, like a dinner, one not discuss politics or religion. Everyone has an opinion, usually strongly held, and many are differing. I am not bothered by the put down of religion by some groups. Better to move on and ignore the subject if it incenses you.

Not all people of religion are anti-gay, but when people work against gay rights and equality or say something hateful against lgbt people, with little exception their reasoning behind it has something to do with religious belief, so it is not really that difficult to see why gays are often critical of religion.