Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LGBT as a Marketing Tool
Here in Canada, and to a lesser degree in the USA, one of our major banks is the TD Bank. They have been quite supportive of gay rights over the years and generally are a headline sponsor every Pride event across our great country.

As part of World Pride in Toronto, the bank's CEO was a keynote speaker as outlined in this news story: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/td-bank-...-1.2688932

So my question, is it OK to utilize the LGBT and Pride movements as a marketing strategy?

For the most part, Canadians are rather low key and tend to not like being used to market a particular item or view point.

I myself have opinions on both sides when it comes to this. I do like seeing major corporations get on board with the LGBT and Pride movements. On the other hand, I don't like it if they are using it solely as a marketing ploy.

your thoughts?

In the area I live in, we have a small, neighborhood-type pride event every year that is is separate from the larger Detroit area pride. This year the major sponsor of our little pride event was Blue Cross Blue Shield, a huge health insurance company. It might sound like a sell out and is a big change from the years when the biggest sponsors were local gay bars and brands of lube, but a big company like this has deeper pockets. The streets were blocked off and we used to be charged to attend this event, but the nice thing about this corporate sponsorship is that it is now free and the streets are kept open for everyone to come and go as they please. The local location of the chain restaurant Buffalo Wild Wings was having pride weekend specials. A local Irish pub, usually a straight bar, had gay djs that weekend. So I guess instead of seeing it as a sell out, I look at it as how amazing that we have come this far when insurance companies, big banks, car companies, major retail chains are willing to sponsor and display their company logos at gay events.

The Spencer's and The Shed near were I live sell some LGBT Jewelry, but that's about all I know of.
Oh, and yay, now we can be exploited and advertised to like every other demographic :biggrin:

I'm like you Over50. I'm not real comfortable with having politicians or corporations trying to send me a smiley message like. "See? I'm you're friend NOW! NOW you be my friend!"

Politicians have NEVER done things because they were right or best. They only do them to gain political power over their adversaries. (google "letter by Quintus Cicero on politics written to his brother" for proof of this!) All politicians want from gays is our support. Politicians don't last and things change. Do you really think there's one gay friendly politician today who would stand up just the same for gays if the far right fundamentalists take over the house and senate? NO! He will either make more noise to gather more $$upport or less noise to change his position. That's politics, like it or not.

All gay friendly corps are after is more consumer dollars and tapping into the highly reliable labor force with the fewest absences due to family issues like sick kids, orthodontist visits, soccer games, school field trips etc. There's nothing wrong with that but I don't consider companies like that "our friends" since they're doing it only to get more than they're giving. If the financial benefits for being gay friendly disappear how long do you really expect the friendship to last?

Corporate advertisers target just about every group --- teens, young married couples, parents, senior citizens, sports fans, etc --- so if the LGBT community has become mainstream and accepted enough to warrant being targeted, I don't think it's a bad thing, as long as it's done tastefully and doesn't exploit stereotypes.
And yes, the goal of the advertiser is financial gain --- but isn't that how our economy works?

Adam Wrote:-- so if the LGBT community has become mainstream and accepted enough to warrant being targeted, I don't think it's a bad thing,

Adam - I can fully support that part of the argument. Should large corporations consider the LGBT demographic as mainstream, that by itself could be considered as a silent victory.

Sadly tho, we all know it will not be tasteful. Historical there is far too much gay stereotypical humour to think tastefulness will be at the forefront.

I think it makes sense in that, stereotypically speaking, gays have better jobs, make more money, have nicer houses, take care of their houses, take better care of themselves, better educated, buy better cars, like the extravagant life style, love to shop ...

Now that hating Gays isn't as PC anymore, if they can't tap into the 1% that has money, tap into the next best 10% that does!!! Companies have always targeted niches in society: kids, elderly, house wives, hunters, construction, ... We're just one more niche for them to exploit and try to get money from.

Pride flag flown over Starbucks headquarters during Seattle pride.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvHqi4UTh4hUK6Ymkgpai...v1gTDIRHxA]

Rainbow colored rings displayed during Detroit pride on a lighting feature General Motors has on their headquarters.

[Image: GM-Pride.jpg]

everything is commoditised and used in advertising nothign can really be done about it.

By coincidence, this related story just popped up on my fb newsfeed.

Corporate sponsorships of LGBT pride parades on the rise:
http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2014/06/corpo...8.facebook