Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antidepressants
After having a mental breakdown, I went to the doctor and he's given me these 10mg Citalopram pills. I was wondering if anyone else has experience with these. First day I felt stoned and then really elated. Second day I started off elated but then at about midnight had a massive breakdown and was trying to kill myself with a kitchen knife and crying. This morning i've woken up and I still feel really low.

Is it normal for antidepressants to cause such a roller-coaster in mood changes in just three days? Are there any that don't do this? I have to report back to Doc on the 21st for feedback, and at the moment I can't even get out of bed, which is weird as this time yesterday I was hyper and wanting to travel the world :/

I just want my brain to do it's job and work properly!! Sad

It differs per person, for me it worsened my negative thoughts in the beginning and like you my mood changed quite often, however after about 2/3 weeks that stopped.

I do not know if your doctor told you but it takes about 2 weeks possibly longer before they take any good effect. However if the effects gets worse everyday then do stop taking them because these pills are very much a gamble, it can make the situation better or worse.

havikryan Wrote:It differs per person, for me it worsened my negative thoughts in the beginning and like you my mood changed quite often, however after about 2/3 weeks that stopped.

I do not know if your doctor told you but it takes about 2 weeks possibly longer before they take any good effect. However if the effects gets worse everyday then do stop taking them because these pills are very much a gamble, it can make the situation better or worse.

Thanks at the moment i'm down more than I'm up. I'm going totally wacko. Whereas before I was just down all the time, so I'm not sure what's worse. I do get an initial 'rush' in the first 20 minutes of taking them which feels quite good. Like you said, my thoughts are extremely negative and I keep feeling like everybody hates me!

You need to call the doctor who prescribed the meds and run those side effects past him/her. This is the generic of Celexa, which typically takes a couple weeks to kick in and then you start to feel a general lightening of mood and more energy. I was on this med for 2 years and never experienced anything like that. And frankly, I don't like the sounds of it, extreme highs and lows can be dangerous.
Call your doctor today.

Monitor how the tablets continue to affect you and I would suggest going to your GP again and tell them,and then see what they think.

thanks everyone. Well i have to see him before my 14th day so will say then. Id rather not go earlier because i want to observe the effects some more. Today i just feel extremely depressed much like i did before the tablets, but not suicidal. Im starting to feel i am beyond help!

Awwww sorry to hear you feel so bad, like you said go and see your Doctor that is what they are there for, and you are NOT beyond help. Try and keep yourself busy with things you like to do for fun and and enjoy doing. You can be helped it may just take some time , you are not alone many people struggle with depression and anxiety. Life will get easier for in time, just by asking for help and talking with us on here are the first positive steps.

You're not beyond help. Don't allow yourself to even think that.
Depression sucks. I would rather have a physical illness, no matter how painful, than go through that again.
It typically takes a couple weeks for the meds to kick in. Sometimes you need to try a couple different ones before you find what works.
The part of your post that scared me was the "...trying to kill myself... --- hopefully that impulse is gone, but if it comers back, please don't try to deal with it alone.
I know you don't believe it now, but things can get better.

Wolfpack Wrote:Awwww sorry to hear you feel so bad, like you said go and see your Doctor that is what they are there for, and you are NOT beyond help. Try and keep yourself busy with things you like to do for fun and and enjoy doing. You can be helped it may just take some time , you are not alone many people struggle with depression and anxiety. Life will get easier for in time, just by asking for help and talking with us on here are the first positive steps.

Thank you (: part of me wonders if this is all a placebo because 10mg seems like nothing and i have a feeling doc will up my dosage so im hoping it starts working. Its hard to distract myelf because i simply am not finding anything enjoyable at all. I feel bad that there are people who have it far worse and ive spent the whole day in bed feeling sorry for myself again!

supasyd Wrote:Thank you (: part of me wonders if this is all a placebo because 10mg seems like nothing and i have a feeling doc will up my dosage so im hoping it starts working. Its hard to distract myelf because i simply am not finding anything enjoyable at all. I feel bad that there are people who have it far worse and ive spent the whole day in bed feeling sorry for myself again!

Ok so hopefully your Doctor can get you sorted with the meds. As for not feeling that you cannot do anything but lie in bed, this is actually making you worse. In your mind you are telling yourself you cannot do anything because you feel so bad, so you do nothing this in turn makes you feel even worse. From this you feel bad for not doing anything and the endless cycle continues. Your depression is telling you cannot do anything or want to do anything, but YOU CAN. Harsh as it may sound make yourself do something, anything at all, go for a walk, do some cleaning, play a video game, talk with other people. I know it is hard but try to push yourself, anything will be better than staying in bed and feeling worthless. You can treated maybe not cured but you can have a good quality of life. Chat with us on here doing just doing that will help you even if only a little.