Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Standards
Watch Smile if you haven't already.

An easy way to tell if someone is obsessed with looks and image is to take a look at their friends and the people they choose to hang around with. Now there is nothing wrong with having good looking friends, but if the only friends you have and the people you are seen with are the people that satisfy the society accepted norms of beauty, it is very hard for anyone to make a sincere case that the only people they have met in life that are nice and that they have things in common with are the beautiful people.

I just like this video because he talks about how "ugly" by gay terms really isn't "ugly" in straight terms. In other words, it's hard for most gay guys to feel attractive when they only look "average", because as he puts it, most of the time gay guys are portrayed as really fit and into fashion and all that.

Excellent post Bluestar. So, so worth the time to listen to.

And on a lighter note, because the title of your post made me think of it:

Quote:
Mama!
Do you think that I'd allow a common masher--
Now, really Mama!
I have my standards where men are concerned,
And I have no intention--

Mrs. Paroo:
I know all about your standards
And if you don't mind my sayin' so
There's not a man alive
Who could hope to measure up to that blend'a
Paul Bunyan, Saint Pat and Noah Webster
You've got concocted for yourself outta your Irish imagination,
Your Iowa stubbornness, and your liberry fulla' books!
Roflmao

I'm Bluelight, but close enough lol funny excerpt btw. Where's that from?

I have an urge to shave the top of his moustache, just below his nose. It just needs to start a few mm further down, so it doesn't look like it pours out of his nostrils. You know that single-razor blade on the backside tip of the newer gilettes? That one. Just a few mm. Please?...

Being uncomfortable in your own skin is unhealthy too, accept the flaws and love them because they make you special.

He has some good advice but I disagree with a lot of what he says....

I know I am lucky (and a little weird) but I don't really see myself through anyone else's eyes and it annoys me when it is expected that I should. I don't think it is a compliment if someone tells me I am good looking...I think it is the same as telling me I am ugly. If the guy focused only on my appearance...I would NEVER go out with him. It was a turn off. I have only asked someone once in my entire life "how I looked"....I think it is weird to care and I can't see why it matters what anyone else thinks.

I think I look how I feel. If I am feeling great I think I look great and if I feel crappy I think I look crappy. I have had gay guys try to tell me that I must be full of shit because "everyone" thinks or does this or that (cough...bullshit...cough)....and I think they are talking about themselves and who they are and just can't bring themselves to see that there are a lot more individuals out there than they can imagine.

That's cool though....I discard the "gay guys think or act one way or the other en masse" BS and try to see if there is a point beyond that. The guy in the video has a few good points...but ultimately he is talking about himself and SOME gay men...not "gay men" in general.....

*yawn*

his hairstyle and facial hair are too pretentious and distracting to take him seriously.

Bluelight Wrote:I'm Bluelight, but close enough lol funny excerpt btw. Where's that from?

Dammit! I'm bad with names...numbers...geometry...cooking...etc... My apologies Bluelight. I'll try to do a better job (that was sort of inexcusable). Still, you're lucky you didn't get, starbright, lightbright, blueballexpress... Remember, I care very, very, deeply about you. I just don't know your name.

Headscratch Hhheart

The quote was from The Music Man, which I seem to be obsessed about lately because my signature's from the same show. Yes, I'll admit it. Hello everyone. My name is Steve and I'm a musical theatre show tune stereotype.

Stevie Wrote:Dammit! I'm bad with names...numbers...geometry...cooking...etc... My apologies Bluelight. I'll try to do a better job (that was sort of inexcusable). Still, you're lucky you didn't get, starbright, lightbright, blueballexpress... Remember, I care very, very, deeply about you. I just don't know your name.

:O Don't you like a star shining blue Stevie? Flash