Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Started University a few days ago!
Hey guys, just updating on what i've been doing! So, I just started my first semester at Simon Fraser university studying Business ( hoping to concentrate on Human Resource) .

It's been 3 days in, and I'm dying. The workload is so drastically different that it's taking some time to get use to. I mean the past 3 days felt like the past 3 weeks. On the seconday , I already had 4 chapters due , 3 quizzes , 2 articles to read , and 1 math test due by the end of the week and I was totally freaking out because it's been so different from high school.

On the bright side, the classes are really interesting, especially my economics class. The textbook approaches the topic in a very abstract way, and I'm totally loving it. Also, there were some cute guys in some of my classes but being in a class of 150, it makes it totally weird to approach someone across the room Sad Besides, he was probably straight anyways! Anyways I've done my ranting and I'm going to go back to studying. See ya guys Smile

Congratulations on your big move Smile I have 1 year ahead until I start university.
I hope you'll be fine and enjoy everything Wink

Good luck man! You quickly get used to the workload, and it becomes easy when doing the subjects you love.

I did Business with Human Resources and there were some very emotional moments before the end, especially when doing my dissertation - but very much worth it in the end!

Have fun and enjoy it!

Good luck and have fun. That workload must be crazy but keep on keeping on.

You'll get used to it. Depending on the course, you might not always have to read everything in the chapters - I got away with not reading plenty of times, you just have figure out your professors and weigh your priorities and be flexible. It'll help that you like the material too. Odds are the workload's only gonna get heavier, but you'll get better at juggling everything as you go.

Good luck keeners, you're smart and driven and you can Do This Thing

You'll get used to it after a while. It is more work than what you were doing in high school, but it also that the ratio of time spent in class to the time where do work and study on your own has shifted. Now you are expected to do more of it on your own and takes a lot more time management on your part.

Work hard, buddy. Glad you're enjoying your studies.

I know I got away without reading more than half the time. If your school is anything like the one I went to, most of the "supplemental readings" aren't going to be tested on. It's really about learning how each course (and professor) operates.

Remember to take breaks and pace yourself! Ya got this!

Good for you Kenny!

If you can't keep up with the workload, then cut down on it. You don't have to pass every exam in the first go and depending on how your study is planned out, you have time to cram before the exam(s).
What I do is I focus on keeping up with >50% of the subjects during the semester and then I cram the <50% that I couldn't fathom during the time before the specific exam. If the exams are too tightly packed, then I give it my best shot without being prepared for it and expect to do the re-exam a month later.
It's a good idea to pay attention to which type of exam it is, a written exam with all non-electronical aids requires very different preparations from one with no aids. For the no aids I create quiz-cards with a question on one side and the answer on the other side and practise those in my friend-study-group. For exams with aids it's all about knowing where to find the information, so small stickynotes in the side of the book for quickly looking up this and that can really speed up your exam completion, which leaves you more time to go indepth with the things you simply don't know about, during the exam.
Mind you, I study naturalsciences (word?), which I suspect is quite different from humanities, which business is, right?

A good piece of advice is to buy your next semester books and read over them during the school break

Thanks for the advices guys! I'm still gonna die though! Hahaha, man, waking up 6 in the morning to commute to school is NOT fun at all.