Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I just love Opera... what about you? What's you're aria
And please for once can this thread not be a darn minute maid tread where two or three respond to it? I don't believe I post anything boring in here but it seems that the most stupid, and/or dramatic tread gets the palms here. THIS IS A DARN SERIOUS thread asking you something that has nothing to do with your DICK -FAILING RELATIONSHIP- OR CHEATING BOYFRIEND. What is your ARIA and if you don't have any tell us why you don't like opera. How about keep this one up, beside the stupid crap about relationship that goes forever and ever and ever and yet everything has been said about it but nobody cares to read or learn. Now let's talk about talent for a fucking ONCE - this thread doesn't allow drama. You have anything that look like DRAMA go to Drama Queen they have wonderful ice cream there where you get to lick you drama all the way to the cone. BUT NOT HERE - NOT IN THIS THREAD CLEAR! .

I love orchestra music, classical music, etc.

BUT, I do not enjoy opera. I have synesthetic reactions to a variety of sounds. The belting vocals that come with opera almost always seem to react negatively for me.

I like classical music, which isn't the same as opera but it's close. I do have a few opera songs on my iPod. The one I listen to most is Maria Callas's La Mamma Morta. Its very pretty. In Oklahoma we don't have many opera performances for us to enjoy.

Sorry Jake, opera isn't my favorite music. I have seen touring productions of La Traviata and Pirates of Penzance, two very different musical styles of opera. La Traviata was drenched with drama while I thought Gilbert & Sullivan took a much lighter approach to the music.

Broadway musical theatre is my first love. I was about eleven when I was asked by my band teacher to play one of the boys in the band (some older members may see the irony in that statement in regard to my future) in the musical "The Music Man". As soon as I hit the stage that was it for me, I was hooked. I saw the movie version later and was awestruck when Shirley Jones sung "Til There Was You". Crystal clear notes with flawless delivery. And the song, in my naive young mind, rejoiced in the romantic idea that love could take hold so completely, yet still remain unacknowledged until it was almost too late.

I suppose that idea correlates to La Traviata in many ways, although the female lead rarely dies in the arms of her lover at the end of a Broadway musical.

It isn't the same as opera, I know. It could be worse. "Tip Toe Through the Tulips" by Tiny Tim? (Find it on YouTube and be completely horrified.)
Laugh

Not my thing

Does Opera Disco count? Supergrin

I am not familiar with opera but the little bit I see is interesting enough for me to pause and listen...

The disco opera I have on 12" single....Deborah Sasson and MCL...from Carmen

Unfortunately Jake I don't think that you will get very many serious answers. I remember quite some time ago someone wrote and explained that he was just starting out on classical music but didn't know what he should be listening to. Quite a few people, including myself, went to quite a lot of trouble to make suggesting and also included links from YouTube of works we considered should be in a basic beginner’s library. Unfortunately the thread died very quickly and was never resurrected.

Personally I am a classical music lover and that of course included opera. My favourites are those by Puccini and Mozart (“The Marriage of Figaro” is the work of an undisputed genius. Who else could start off with a solo, turn it in to a duet and then a trio, a quartet, a quintet, a sextet, a septet and finally an octet?), but I take in a considerable number of other composers also including for example more modern works like John Adams’ “Nixon in China”. My bladder would preclude me from sitting through a performance of anything by Wagner.

Some time ago, as I had not been to the opera for a long time, I treated myself to a seat at Covent Garden in London to see Angela Gheorghiu, the Rumanian soprano in the title role of “Tosca”. I had heard her on CD sing the role and she seemed to be very good, especially in the last act when she stabs Scarpia and screams at him with all the vehemence that she can muster: "Muori!, Muori! Muori!". It is the most dramatic part of the whole work and she did it on the CD so well that one critic wrote: “I wouldn’t liked to meet her in a dark alley at night.” Unfortunately in the stage performance, I don’t know why, she gave a single, whimpered “Muori”. I was never more disappointed.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I love opera though I rarely listen, hearing it feels like I'm completely in another world, I don't know much about arias but...

and...

are my favorite opera songs.

Hi Bluestar: You have chosen two very popular arias but youmight be interested in some less often played arias. Here's one of my favourites from Tchaikovsky's "Eugene Onegin". To understand it better it helps to know a little of the story. In this instance, the singer, Lensy, has been challeneged to a duel by his oncetime best friend. In this aria, resigned, he laments his coming death. I'm giving two examples of the same aria here, the first by the Spanish tenor Plácido Domingo and the second by the great Swedish tenor Jussi Björling who, to my mind, gives a heartfelt interpretation that is capable of bringing tears to the eyes. Enjoy.

"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Thanks for the info Londoner. Both are greatly heartfelt, the Swedish one was more enjoyable though. I understood no word at all, but they're a masterpiece of music art especially for sensitive ears like mine. I know no opera house here, so I often rely on youtube to search for random music.