Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I don't like the main character of my novel
So I've been thinking about trying to write my novel again. I came up with the idea for it over six years ago. All I have is a bunch of notes. I love the world I have created, and both of the side characters. I love the names for my side characters, but hate the main characters name. I've also come to the realization that I don't much care for him either. He's just boring compared to the side characters and the plot. I just felt like ranting. I'm not sure what to do, and since I have no interest on sharing my ideas over the internet, I'm not expecting much feedback.

Has anyone else been in a similar predicament?

[Image: Facepalm-Animated-GIF.gif]

You can't change his name and make him interesting? Like, iduno, someone with a secret identity, an undercover agent or psychopathic serial killer or something? I mean, it is *your* novel, your story, the world you've created.

Or, why not just have one of the characters you like off the main character in the first chapter?

lol I'm working on changing his name, and will work on his character as well. I can say my book is a fantasy/scifi novel, and he is the human character who doesn't know what's going on kinda thing. I just need to put more time on him. I put a lot of time on the side characters who aren't human.

Write it without a main character by alluding to someone who is not there.

Yes, I have been there. It's called "Five Years to Write a Thesis."
I bid NO Trump!

That's actually a good job LJay, I'm considering making all 3 main characters, or maybe even two of them, with the third while still important, not getting as much focus. When I started thinking about this novel I imagined them forming a group, but they seem to all have different paths that cross the same problem leading to the overall solution.

Hi Radbot

Without giving too much away, could you describe the world your story is set in?

Is it set in the past, present, or future?

It's in the past, a fictional world where technological advancements are new. So there will be things like radios, lighbulbs, and cars are brand new. I'm debating on phones and television. His father is a scientist, but the technology is not too important to the plot.

What is it you don't like about him? You say he is boring...why? Does he remind you of anyone?

A lot of characters are based on someone who the author knows.....could be conscious or unconscious.....

You don't have to answer...just trying to give you some food for thought....

If you don't like the main character.....kill him off.

MikeW Wrote:[Image: Facepalm-Animated-GIF.gif]

You can't change his name and make him interesting? Like, iduno, someone with a secret identity, an undercover agent or psychopathic serial killer or something? I mean, it is *your* novel, your story, the world you've created.

Or, why not just have one of the characters you like off the main character in the first chapter?

It doesn't work that way.

Most people who write stories find that characters write themselves. No seriously when you are writing dialog and descriptions this 'secondary personality' rises up in the back of your head and takes over, and becomes 'The Voice' of the character.

This weekend I was writing in my own novel, where I wanted the protagonist and a secondary character to lay the ground work for future love. I wrote several pages, stopped, read it, felt it was forced. deleted those pages wrote again. Again it felt forced.

Then I just deleted and let the characters decide how this scene should play out. Well I got about 50 more pages and my story has taken a decidedly different turn than I wanted to force it into, but what I have is working and doesn't feel forced.

Through the years I have 'designed' characters. Which isn't wholly accurate. Characters come into being, and when you start writing about them, descriptions and trying out their voice and picturing them in your head the process takes on a life of its own.

I have had minor characters just up and decide they wanted a detailed history, to be more than just a decoration in the back ground. I have had main characters that didn't want to be heroes, or to go where I wanted them too.

Yes I know, it sounds like insanity, and I suppose it is. But many authors go into this 'reporter' mode, simply reporting what they have observed, and are not working that hard on the whole construction of the world, the characters - those things just flow out of the Void of storyland, taking on their own lives and details.

Rad, What I suggest is writing the story with this character and see where the character wants to take you. sure it may not be the place you initially intended, but this may be another story that needs to be told. Or it could be a flop.

If you have other characters, perhaps they are the real protagonist and you should let them do their thing....

Let it flow through you, don't try to force it.