Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OMG!!! I'm OUT!!!
Unlike my early predictions, this is NOT going slowly for me. Have you ever tried to re-package a tube of biscuit dough???

So, I took the easy route with some people. I came out to the LGB people in my life. - no sweat.
Then I started with close friends who have other gay people in their lives - again, no sweat.
Then came the decision to come out to mom, a recently widowed woman in her 80s who have always come off as being disapproving of "people like that". This was more of a challenge. However, I used a discussion we had earlier to lead in.

We had been discussing the fact that I would live in her house after she passed away. She mentioned that doing so would be up to me. She then made reference to me living there with a girlfriend. I wasn't expecting it, so the words "or boyfriend" stuck in my throat. She went on to another topic and the moment was lost. However, I returned later tat night and referenced her comment. It was a "you know how you mentioned..." kind of ice breaker. I then told her that I was not with anyone, and didn't have plans to be with anyone in the near future. However, If I were with someone, it would most likely not be a woman. "So, you're gay" she replied, to which I said yes. She expressed that she had no problem with it. I referenced that It was the way I was born, but she believes that we are a product of life experiences. Regardless of her beliefs, I am just glad she is accepting.

My daughter is 17, but has mild Autism. I emailed her mother to let her know that I am attracted to men. Now, not being together for 15 years, this could have gone any one of a number of ways. However, her response was essentially that she "knew" I was gay for the past 13 years.

So, on Facebook I PMed a number of people. Only one was upset that I didn't do it in person. I then created a distribution list of those friends I was willing to come out to. Note that most of my Facebook "Friends" would be considered real life acquaintances by any standard. So, I posted to them, and add others as time goes on.

On another Facebook account I have my biological family. As I have only just met them, I was subtle; changing my "interested in" from blank to "men". I will be calling my biological mother tonight.

Congratulations on coming out.
An eye for an eye

So, yesterday I had a discussion with a good friend (whom I would like to be a MUCH better friend ;-) ). When I told him, he stood up and gave me a hug (which I really enjoyed, he is taller than me and solid). He was very accepting and supportive. He then asked me about how I went about looking for people to date. I expressed my feelings about Grindr, the club scene, and hook-ups and told him that at my age, unless I wan t to be someone's daddy, the selection was slim, and there was nobody I really could see myself with. I then jokingly told him that if he was inclined to switch teams, my problems could be solved. He graciously asserted his heterosexuality (though I have questioned it for years). I told him that I respect his sexual orientation, but that if things change down the line, I would be there. Luckily, we have a good enough friendship that we can continue as friends despite this conversation. I firmly believe that all relationships should start out as friendships.

Awesome that you came out.. If it was anything like my experience, It's the most relieving thing you can ever do - You seem to be happy with the outcome to how your friends and family reacted to it.
I know that telling my mum was the hardest person to tell - but they are the ones that love you most and Im sure she will be supportive of you Smile

JCasey Wrote:So, yesterday I had a discussion with a good friend (whom I would like to be a MUCH better friend ;-) ). When I told him, he stood up and gave me a hug (which I really enjoyed, he is taller than me and solid). He was very accepting and supportive. He then asked me about how I went about looking for people to date. I expressed my feelings about Grindr, the club scene, and hook-ups and told him that at my age, unless I wan t to be someone's daddy, the selection was slim, and there was nobody I really could see myself with. I then jokingly told him that if he was inclined to switch teams, my problems could be solved. He graciously asserted his heterosexuality (though I have questioned it for years). I told him that I respect his sexual orientation, but that if things change down the line, I would be there. Luckily, we have a good enough friendship that we can continue as friends despite this conversation. I firmly believe that all relationships should start out as friendships.
[MENTION=22277]JCasey[/MENTION], heartwarming, nice, fuzzy feeling after reading your story. Now you've really got to start seriously looking so you have someone to introduce your wonderful friend to.

WillRugby Wrote:Awesome that you came out.. If it was anything like my experience, It's the most relieving thing you can ever do - You seem to be happy with the outcome to how your friends and family reacted to it.
I know that telling my mum was the hardest person to tell - but they are the ones that love you most and Im sure she will be supportive of you Smile

I had that experience too, but I realised that she only wanted me to be happy.... I cried a lot writing that coming out letter. Circumstances were a bit complicated. How did it go with your (different generation) mum, [MENTION=22531]WillRugby[/MENTION]?

JCasey Wrote:Unlike my early predictions, this is NOT going slowly for me. Have you ever tried to re-package a tube of biscuit dough???

So, I took the easy route with some people. I came out to the LGB people in my life. - no sweat.
Then I started with close friends who have other gay people in their lives - again, no sweat.
Then came the decision to come out to mom, a recently widowed woman in her 80s who have always come off as being disapproving of "people like that". This was more of a challenge. However, I used a discussion we had earlier to lead in.

We had been discussing the fact that I would live in her house after she passed away. She mentioned that doing so would be up to me. She then made reference to me living there with a girlfriend. I wasn't expecting it, so the words "or boyfriend" stuck in my throat. She went on to another topic and the moment was lost. However, I returned later tat night and referenced her comment. It was a "you know how you mentioned..." kind of ice breaker. I then told her that I was not with anyone, and didn't have plans to be with anyone in the near future. However, If I were with someone, it would most likely not be a woman. "So, you're gay" she replied, to which I said yes. She expressed that she had no problem with it. I referenced that It was the way I was born, but she believes that we are a product of life experiences. Regardless of her beliefs, I am just glad she is accepting.

My daughter is 17, but has mild Autism. I emailed her mother to let her know that I am attracted to men. Now, not being together for 15 years, this could have gone any one of a number of ways. However, her response was essentially that she "knew" I was gay for the past 13 years.

So, on Facebook I PMed a number of people. Only one was upset that I didn't do it in person. I then created a distribution list of those friends I was willing to come out to. Note that most of my Facebook "Friends" would be considered real life acquaintances by any standard. So, I posted to them, and add others as time goes on.

On another Facebook account I have my biological family. As I have only just met them, I was subtle; changing my "interested in" from blank to "men". I will be calling my biological mother tonight.
So, if I understand you well, [MENTION=22277]JCasey[/MENTION], you have two mothers to come out to? Your adoptive mother and the real one?

I forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS, [MENTION=22277]JCasey[/MENTION].!!!!

princealbertofb Wrote:So, if I understand you well, [MENTION=22277]JCasey[/MENTION], you have two mothers to come out to? Your adoptive mother and the real one?

Yes, And I have done so with both.

princealbertofb Wrote:[MENTION=22277]JCasey[/MENTION], heartwarming, nice, fuzzy feeling after reading your story. Now you've really got to start seriously looking so you have someone to introduce your wonderful friend to.

Well, I am not overly anxious to get involved with anyone right away. I would rather build a relationship on a good solid foundation (friendship). He has a "girlfriend" but neither of them identify their relationship as such on Facebook, so it is a possible beard situation. He didn't expect a masculine guy like me to be gay, so perhaps I changed his perception of what it means to be gay. I know that had I perceived that being gay meant being a flaming femme, I would have stayed in the closet. I still hope that he re-evaluates things and perhaps discovers something about himself that has remained hidden. I have a strong feeling that he has it in him. I have known him since he was 16, and I have always felt that about him.