Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jobs, bosses and homosexuality.
Those of you who have bosses in your job - do they know you're gay? How did they react? Did it affect your job in any way?

It just seems that by coming out to my collegue I've made a very big mistake.

I have either been the boss...or worked for one who knew I was gay. If there was ever an issue about it...I was unaware...

Does your employer have a problem with it Davis?

I guess he does. Today I found out that my boss has heard about my coming out to my collegue and he had been quite angry that a queer is working in his company. He hasn't spoken to me personally however I'm afraid it might affect my job.

As far as i know, only one or two other people know I'm gay/bi where i work, but if any of the managers knew, I doubt they would even care, most of them are young and seem pretty cool & open minded and the older ones, while also cool, would probably have to many work related things to worry about than to be concerned with there employees personal life.

I've worked about a dozen jobs since I first became aware I was gay. This includes an auto parts warehouse job, and working out of the basement of a hardcire born-again Christian (as an insurance adjuster). I was out at all of the jobs. No problems. I obviously didn't chat much about my dating life with the hardcore Christian, but she knew. She kept me on because I was a damn good employee.

Lex

I'm out at work, everyone knows i'm gay. It's never been a problem.

I don't know how big your company is, Davis, but you may want to contact the HR department.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

I think is best not to come out at work because if someone doesn't like it then it puts your job at risk. Where I work at there's an extreme macho inviornment but lebians are accepted because they are considered to be macho, however gay men are looked down on there and treated less than. My boss is a lesbian in a ltr with kids and I still have no intentions to come out to anyone.
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

The company is his private business and he's the main person in here. But well, he hasn't said anything to me ( maybe yet, I don't know) so maybe it'll be ok, maybe not.

I just quit my job because I was tired of my 15 year charade. I felt that it would be easier on me and others if I just quit and started a new job honest about myself instead of having to explain. I know this luxury of quitting your job isn't realistic for everyone. I just realized how not being out effected my self esteem and when your self esteem is low people pile more and more work on you. I think it's great you are coming out at your work. I think your boss is mad because now he wont be able to take advantage of you.

My story probably will not cheer you up. I had to leave one of my jobs because of homophobic boss. No, he did not fire me, because it's illegal to fire somebody just because of their sexuality. Even when I said to him I won't leave, he answered - believe me, you will. And I did, because he made my life so difficult that I quit the job myself. He used everything to pick on me, every smallest mistake and I just wasn't able to stand that mobbing. It wasn't worth of my nerves. I really hope that will not be your case, I don't wish that to anyone.