Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
recommend some good jazz music
i have zero knowledge of jazz. i don't like it, i'll never understand it, and that's that. but i have a friend who really loves it and listens to it...his birthday is coming up and i am thinking about maybe getting some jazz artists for him...as uncomfortable as i am with gifting music i have no acquaintance with.

it's a thought. i might not go through with it, and i might decide to get him something else, but i am asking anyone who has a decent knowledge of jazz music to recommend me something, just so i'd have this option. something that would be high quality music like Paganini is high quality in violin, like Guns'n'Roses is high quality in rock music, like John Fogerty is high quality in roots rock and rock and roll...something along those standards in jazz is what i'm looking for.

i think [MENTION=18508]East[/MENTION] made a thread about jazz? do you have any ideas?
''Do I look civilized to you?''

Hey meridian!.....

Jazz is really extensive as far as different styles go.....

Do you know anything about what he does like?

Maybe find something you like...and give him that? I think you said once you didn't really like jazz...or maybe I am wrong?

Here is the thread...if I am around I try to add something every day....

Maybe put it on in the background when he is around and see what he likes...and then it will be easy to give you a good recommend!

https://gayspeak.com/showthread.php?t=36955

The tough part about something like this is finding something he (1) will like but (2) doesn't already own. I'll haphazardly suggest Russell Gunn's "Ethnomusicology Volume 2" (or any of them, really), but only if he's open to somebody trying something a bit different.

Lex

East Wrote:Do you know anything about what he does like?

Maybe find something you like...and give him that? I think you said once you didn't really like jazz...or maybe I am wrong?

not as far as jazz goes, no. he has all his music on his laptop/cell phone and he has played some jazz but i didn't pay attention to it when he did and i can't recognize any jazz artist (i don't even know a single one).

and you're correct, i don't like jazz.

Quote:Here is the thread...if I am around I try to add something every day....

Maybe put it on in the background when he is around and see what he likes...and then it will be easy to give you a good recommend!

maybe. i'll try.

it was just a thought. if i want to go with music i'm better off getting him something that's not jazz but something i know is good. i just thought i'd ask.

Lexington Wrote:The tough part about something like this is finding something he (1) will like but (2) doesn't already own.

i know. and i'm quite sure i won't go this route anyway. i have alternative ideas. but i wanted to ask around to leave this option open for myself.

he's studying trumpet, by the way.

One of my musical crushes (I have alot of them) is Chris Botti...he is a trumpeter...maybe he would like him? You could always buy the CD and play at it your house to see if he likes it?

Here he is with Andrea Bocelli doing Italia

...and with Sting

...and Sy Smith

Of course...if you are going to play it for him first...make sure it doesn't drive you crazy listening Smile Probably good if you can find something you like...

Miles Davis would be a safe bet ....I don't know anyone who likes jazz who doesn't appreciate him

Jazz is a very broad genre... and it's hard to recommend anything, without knowing your friend.
Some modern examples that border on pop are Esperanza Spalding and Trombone Shorty.
You can try Robert Glasper or Marcus Miller for something modern, but just slightly less pop.
If you want something that rocks more you can go for fusion, like Mahavishnu Orchestra or Weather Report.
Pavor Stellar samples jazz in a very dance-oriented way. Oscar Peterson does some in-effing-sane piano work. Oliver Nelson has made some of my favorite orchestral jazz arrangements. Nina Simone brings some slightly depressive weirdness to your life. Quantic is pretty funky and much more positive. If you want something current that everyone knows, Gaga and Benett is a safe bet. Haven't mentioned any classic jazz divas, because there is like a gazillion of them.
Gosh, how do I stop?

I don't like Miles Davis, by the way Big Grin

For what it's worth, here's my pennysworth. Try some classic Oscar Peterson, the late and very much lamented Canadian pianist and his fellow musicians:

And should you want to explore further, get hold of his double CD called "Oscar Peterson in Russia" that doesn't have a single dud track on it.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?u...+in+russia

Another artist also highly recommended would be Billie Holiday. She should never be out of any serious jazz collector's collection:

And if your BF likes trumpet then don't miss out and the wonderful Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong:

"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

East Wrote:Miles Davis would be a safe bet ....I don't know anyone who likes jazz who doesn't appreciate him

Agreed. Take his classis album of "Porgy and Bess":

"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

thanks guys!

i already know what i will get him. it won't be jazz music, but i will use all these recommendations you have given me and see how he feels about them. there's always Christmas and i now have comfortable time to learn just what kind of jazz he's into.