Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loose Snake in the House....
One of the (relatively few) things my husband and I have in common is that we are both "pet-people". We collectively have 3 cats, 2 dogs, and several aquariums. Until a few months ago, we had 2 ferrets who died of old age (rescued them ~years~ ago.

However, my husband doesn't like reptiles or birds. His sister has over 300 birds (yes, she IS the crazy-bird lady...), so I could sort of understand about the birds, but I had snakes as a kid and am still very fond of them.

Very unexpectedly, my husband decided to get me a snake for my birthday. I was thrilled and very happy.

Apparently...there was a crack in the plastic lining the top of the cage and my little snake is loose.... I am most worried that the cats will find her. I plan on setting traps tomorrow, but until I find her I am going to be a bloody wreck!

Meanwhile, my husband is traveling around the house with a torch....roflmao...

~Beaux

Aw, sorry your snake got loose. I want to get a chameleon, turtles, dart frogs, geckos....I want some reptiles...We have three doggies but we want a lot more pets. Hopefully you find your little snake safe soon!

I hope you find her soon!
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

Depending on the size of the snake, maybe the cats should be worried that they snake will find them!

How do you set a live trap for a snake?

May I pet your snake, Beaux?

I've never had a snake for a pet or known someone who has had it. Are pet snakes relatively safer, you know, in term of poison and such?

AlfredMamza Wrote:I've never had a snake for a pet or known someone who has had it. Are pet snakes relatively safer, you know, in term of poison and such?

Most people choose a non-poisonous snake, and of those, there are some more docile ones. (Actually, I don't know if we're allowed to have a poisonous species as a pet.) The ball python is popular - very easy to handle. One important thing with a snake is to stay away when it's focused on feeding -- just give it the food and leave it alone.

Ours escaped once and we found it behind the sofa. That was the safe hiding place nearest the cage.

Alto Wrote:I would put the cats in a room until you find her.

That was my first inclination too....unfortunately, trying to get 3 cats caught and kept in a room is easier said than done...(you open the door to put the last one in the room and the other two get out..)
~Beaux

Camfer Wrote:Depending on the size of the snake, maybe the cats should be worried that they snake will find them!

How do you set a live trap for a snake?

She is a yearling kingsnake, so she isn't big enough to hurt the cats, she is only about 22 inches long and about as big around as your forefinger.
~Beaux

AlfredMamza Wrote:I've never had a snake for a pet or known someone who has had it. Are pet snakes relatively safer, you know, in term of poison and such?

As Elijean mentioned, she is a nonvenomous species, though I do have friends who keep venomous (or "hots") snakes. I am too absentminded to own a rattle snake like they do though! Lol
~Beaux