Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a bit scared(HIV+ partner)
Hey ya'll!

I guess Im not the first one to talk about it. However.. Im in a relationship with HIV positive guy. Known him for 2 years already and for almost 1 year in a relationship. It's not perfect, we're not perfect(but tell me who is Big Grin) but we really love each other.
So we promised each other that we have to be extra careful. But yesterday, it happened.. It happened without a rubber. Despite the fact that he takes his anti-viral pills for already 5 years and his viral load is extremely low, I'm still quite scared of all it. There's always a chance..
Does anybody know what are the chances of getting HIV from HIV positive who is on pills? Maybe somebody has a same story to share.. C'mon guys this shit is confusing :/

PS. Im sexually bottom Big Grin

Yeeah i will, but all the tests require min 3 weeks after intercourse :/

Can you not get PrEP where you are at? That would be one thing I would do for sure. It might not be 100% but why not do everything you can to prevent contracting it?

As said above though, get tested. But I would schedule an appt with your dr ASAP and discuss starting PEP (Post-exposure prophypeplaxis) if available and/or affordable.

Go here for more info about PrEP and PEP: cdc.gov/hiv/basics/prep.html

As someone said before, can you get PrEP? At my last check-up, I was told if I think i've been exposed, I can go straight to A&E and they will give me PrEP

If he's been taking his meds properly the odds of you contracting it are miniscule.
We're talking odds of being involved in a plane crash tiny.

Buuuut better safe than sorry, get tested ASAP. But please try not to freak out. I'd be willing to bet every penny I have on you being ok.

Hopefully Tiger above has his facts right and the chance is small so I hope you feel a little at ease with that - you got a 3 week wait to be sure though and I hope its negative ,

AHA!
I found it, there was thread here a while ago that contained some useful info.

https://gayspeak.com/showthread.php?p=582341#post582341

actually the period during which you're free of antibodies after exposure and when you can get a false negative can range from 3 weeks to 3 months (depending on a person). i'd wait till these 3 months, and then get tested. you can be false negative still after a month, but after 3 months that would be rare. 3 months is not that long of a wait. you'd have to test that late anyway to be sure.

i'd say your chances are next to nothing. you should also keep in mind that having unprotected anal sex with an HIV positive guy who is not on any therapy and whose viral count is high still does not definitively infect you. your body will usually fight it off. the risk goes up when you repeatedly have unprotected sex with different men over a longer period of time.

look into PEP, and if that is available. your GP should know about it.

also, don't forget to support your partner as well. i'm sure he's as scared as you are.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

Thank you dso much guys!!
TigerLove, special thanks to you, i read the whole thread you shared and it made me feel much better. Cuz yeah my bf is very responsible for taking those pills. For 5 years already.
I've of course had an unprotected sex before(everybody will agree - its fantastic), but this was the first time with my bf. And you know once you've tried it, you want it more and more, even though understanding that its not right and dangerous. Sure i will get tested, im doing it regularly anyway.
I'll try to speak with bf again about meeting his doctor all together. I want her to explain me everything though it can be a bit awkward to bf Big Grin
I would take those pills myself, to minimize the chance even more. However, as he has quite nice D, im getting damaged my entrance quite often, it may higher the risk.

InfeRno Wrote:I would take those pills myself, to minimize the chance even more.

you taking antiretrovirals does not lessen your chances of contracting HIV
(as much as i understand it). all that does is extend the period during which you test negative. it can prolong it to 12 months (instead of 3).

remember, antiretrovirals are not a cure to HIV. they just lessen the viral count. also, those drugs get matched to a person (and to the stage of the HIV), they can have bad side effects and not everyone can tolerate all of those drugs.

here's a quote from wikipedia:

wikipedia Wrote:Antiretroviral therapy during the window period can delay the formation of antibodies and extend the window period beyond 12 months.

the link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagnosis_...body_tests
''Do I look civilized to you?''