Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COVID-19 Vaccine
Curious about who all has received the vaccine (and which one)? So I have received the first dose of the Moderna vaccine and my sister has got both of the Pfizer. I didn't have any adverse reactions to the first dose. My shoulder was a bit sore for a couple days where they did the injection and was a bit tired the next day and a bit cranky but that could have been more to do with not having enough sleep. I do hear that the 2nd dose is the one that makes you feel more run down.

There's also a lot of commotion about deaths caused from the vaccine of course the report I heard about did not give enough details other than it was those who were very old or terminally ill but didn't say which vaccine or the specifics. I do want my parents to get the vaccine but they're skeptical at best right now.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

As I mentioned in another thread, I've had the first AstraZeneca vaccine. I felt pretty rough for 24hrs after, with chills, lethargy and muscle pain followed by a pretty bad headache. Apparently the 2nd dose of this vaccine is kinder (so the other way around from the other vaccines it seems), but we shall see. I don't know whether this is true, but I have heard the AstraZeneca vaccine causes younger people especially to be temporarily unwell, whereas older people have had milder or no side effects at all.
[-] The following 1 member Likes Cridders88's post:
  • InbetweenDreams

I had my first jab a couple of weeks ago, the Pfizer one.  I've had no side effect apart from being a little conscious of where the needle went in on my left deltoid muscle.  I'm due  for my second jab in April.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams
[-] The following 1 member Likes LONDONER's post:
  • andy

That's interesting @Cridders88 aren't all the vaccines the mRNA type? I thought they were, I know the Moderna and Pfizer are but I hadn't heard much about the AstraZeneca vaccine. Squirrel moment, for some reason when I see AstraZeneca I think of their commercials for whatever medication they're advertising and at the end they always say "if you can't afford your medicine AstraZeneca may be able to help." Yes, we have commercials for medicine and the very companies that charge outlandish prices for their medications offer assistance in their commercials...hmm.. Anyway, that was an unintended rant.

One thing is for sure there is a lot of FUD surrounding the vaccines. Between the new COVID-19 variants and the constant stir about side effects, mortality and so on. I don't know how we're going to get herd immunity if people keep hearing all the noise. When it is about saving lives, people won't stay home and social distance...and then when it is about saving lives, people won't get the vaccine.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

(02-18-2021, 04:54 PM)InbetweenDreams Wrote: That's interesting @Cridders88 aren't all the vaccines the mRNA type? I thought they were, I know the Moderna and Pfizer are but I hadn't heard much about the AstraZeneca vaccine. Squirrel moment, for some reason when I see AstraZeneca I think of their commercials for whatever medication they're advertising and at the end they always say "if you can't afford your medicine AstraZeneca may be able to help." Yes, we have commercials for medicine and the very companies that charge outlandish prices for their medications offer assistance in their commercials...hmm.. Anyway, that was an unintended rant.

One thing is for sure there is a lot of FUD surrounding the vaccines. Between the new COVID-19 variants and the constant stir about side effects, mortality and so on. I don't know how we're going to get herd immunity if people keep hearing all the noise. When it is about saving lives, people won't stay home and social distance...and then when it is about saving lives, people won't get the vaccine.

I think they all are mRNA type, but they make the body achieve some immunity in different ways, hence the variation in side effects. Again, just what I've read, I don't really know much more than that.

The media really isn't helping for sure. People should limit their intake of media, because too much really isn't healthy. It is wise to keep up to date with world events, but too much of it and too much intake of false information makes some people behave for the worst.

Definitely doesn't help especially when the general population slept in science class.... Makes me want to do this....

Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 2 members Like InbetweenDreams's post:
  • andy, Cridders88

To all the anti-vaxxers:

"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams
[-] The following 2 members Like LONDONER's post:
  • andy, seeking

Had mine the other day and felt like I had a hangover from a heavy night of drinking.

(02-18-2021, 04:54 PM)InbetweenDreams Wrote: That's interesting @Cridders88 aren't all the vaccines the mRNA type? I thought they were, I know the Moderna and Pfizer are but I hadn't heard much about the AstraZeneca vaccine. 

Moderna and Pfizer are our pretty immunogenic friend, Spike, in mRNA form. AstraZeneca is a harmless adenovirus modified to express SARS-CoV-2 proteins. Sputnik works similarly. CoronaVac is the oddball in that it went through the more traditional "I WILL INACTIVATE SARS-COV-2, INJECT IT TO YOUR ARM, AND YOU WILL LIKE IT" path and then there are some recombinant and peptide-based vaccines (directly injecting viral proteins and immunogenic epitopes in a formulation). 

Here, there you have it. A more thorough --> list.

Thank goodness not everyone went the "I WILL USE SUPER LABILE RNA VACCINES WHICH NEED CRAZY STRICT COLD CHAINS AND YOU WILL LIKE IT" way. It was simpler and much faster route to develop a vaccine, sure, but not many countries have the logistic to handle, store and transport mass amounts of them in strict refrigerated conditions.

Aye, that will be all from me then.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]
[-] The following 1 member Likes Insertnamehere's post:
  • andy

(02-19-2021, 11:34 PM)Insertnamehere Wrote: Moderna and Pfizer are our pretty immunogenic friend, Spike, in mRNA form. AstraZeneca is a harmless adenovirus modified to express SARS-CoV-2 proteins. Sputnik works similarly. CoronaVac is the oddball in that it went through the more traditional "I WILL INACTIVATE SARS-COV-2, INJECT IT TO YOUR ARM, AND YOU WILL LIKE IT" path and then there are some recombinant and peptide-based vaccines (directly injecting viral proteins and immunogenic epitopes in a formulation). 

Here, there you have it. A more thorough --> list.

Thank goodness not everyone went the "I WILL USE SUPER LABILE RNA VACCINES WHICH NEED CRAZY STRICT COLD CHAINS AND YOU WILL LIKE IT" way. It was simpler and much faster route to develop a vaccine, sure, but not many countries have the logistic to handle, store and transport mass amounts of them in strict refrigerated conditions.

Aye, that will be all from me then.

Interesting, so the AstraZeneca vaccine modified an existing adenovirus to make it "look" like COVID-19 to the immune system (I'm sure that's very layman). I have not heard of the CoronaVac vaccine, do you think theirs will end up being the better path to take in the end (although, I'm sure at this point it that any vaccine would be better than not).
Check out my stuff!