Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long distant relationships: do they have a chance?
A little over a year ago I met a guy during Mardi Gras from Indonesia. We have kept in touch mostly via the internet and we communicate at least 3 to 4 times a week. He is beautiful inside and out. I am nuts about him.
Here are the problems;
I just ended an 8 year relationship and am no where near ready for another,
We live on opposite sides of the globe,
I have a guilt thing going on because when I met this guy I cheated on my boyfriend with him, ( It started me down a path and led to me cheating more )
and If I did not make the point clear enough,,,,, we live on opposite sides of the Earth.
Last night at around 3am my time he told me he was in love with me.
I have to admit that I think about him everyday but he is not the only person I think about.
What should I do? Hang on to a nearly impossible situation or break off our communication to keep from hurting him?

Long distance to me is a killer. There are members on here like Marshlander and PA are one couple.. and also a member named Shadow - He has a long distance.. Not AS far as you are asking but still not the same country. But anyway they are proof it can work :biggrin: I guess its all about you and how you feel over it!
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]

I think you have to be realistic. If you do try to have a relationship how often would you see each other, for how long, could you manage with that? If you wanted to get more serious could either of you move / change working arrangements to be able to spend more time together? Long-distance relationships have all the difficulties of short-distance ones plus all the problems of distance.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Its a shame, but I have to say that this is a no. I have seen plenty of long distance relationships fall apart, mostly due to lack of personal interaction and diminishing trust. Sad

There are all kind of relationships and it is all what you make of it.

If you can deal with having a virtual relationship that can work... if you can deal with a yearly visit, then you gotta make that work... Whatever you decide to do you can make it work... if you want to.

Good luck in your decision, it aint easy but then if it was it might not be worth it! Keep us informed on what happens!

Ive never had a long distant relationship, and i would say most dont work from hearing what has happened to friends and friends of freinds. BUT, like twazz said PA and Marsh prove that it can work, and infact can be very succesful. I would say if you have any doubt what so ever that you would ever think " WOULD HE CHEAT ON ME " then absoloutly no way. If you have even a small doubt of that then for your owns sanity and health its not a good idea, as the worries will grow and grow till the point, if he says hes away out with friends you will automaticly think hes cheating on you.... its a vicious road but thats the human condition. If you feel you can absoloutly trust yourself and him then go for it. Just remember actuall physical contact is important and you have to be prepared for the fact that you may only see each other once a month or even year. Its summit you cannot sleep on, you will have to really look deep on that one!!

Baz xx

Not much I can add to what has already been said, although I suspect I shall probably attempt to do so Wink .

True, PA and I have been exclusively together for more than 6 years now, but our long distance is only between 600-700 miles not the 11,000+ (?) miles I guess yours would be.

To be able to sustain a long distance relationship requires a few things. Certainly commitment is one, trust is another, but dare I say money as well? To make it work you have to let go of a few things and only will you and your partner be able to decide what those things are. PA and I came to the realisation early on that what we had was very precious, but that it may not last forever. In fact my previous record in the fidelity stakes had not been very good and, as I was coming out of a decades-long relationship when PA and I first became friends, I really wasn't looking for another relationship. However, we don't always get what we think we want and over the years we have become increasingly secure together.

Staying in contact is important. We send text messages daily, we e-mail and we telephone a few times a week. We also meet up in the chat room on here where we can chat in private while joining in the general conversation. I made a decision a few years ago to make myself unavailable for work (a decision over which, being self-employed, I had some control) during the second week of every month, when I would make time to travel to France to be with PA. I don't have a home of my own in either England or France, so I am a bit of a nomad. Being rootless can be a problem. PA generously refers to his apartment as "our apartment".

Obviously a loving, couple-relationship is affirmed by its physical aspect. Weeks apart at a time can be difficult. We released each other from the need to enter a celibate state when we couldn't be together. In PA's beautiful words he would understand if I needed sexual relief with another man, but he would find it difficult were I ever to betray his heart. This freedom we allow each other is one of the most empowering aspects of our relationship and I could never have imagined how well it would have worked. Rather than a license to shag around it serves more to make the other more precious. I am astounded to acknowledge that I have no wish to do anything to jeopardise what we have and I just know that PA would never do anything either. Maybe this sexual fidelity would have been more difficult had we been younger? For me, sex with this man I love with my heart, mind, body and soul has proven to be, without doubt, the best sex I have ever enjoyed. I cannot imagine any circumstances under which it could be better with anyone else. What kind of idiot would throw that away?

I mentioned that money is important. Not only do I need to be able to cover the bills when I am not earning, but I do need to be able to pay the fares monthly. Because I visit monthly we decided that I would pay the travel costs in addition to being unable to earn and he would cover my expenses once in France. This is what we aim for, but sometimes this arrangement has to be flexible. PA has been more than generous this past year while I have had to deal with other financial priorities.

As I see it, you have a few options, but none of them is going to be easy. If you both seriously think this can work as a relationship, you have to plan for times to be together. If you don't have some time together you don't have a life partner, you have a penfriend. I can't begin to imagine how expensive it is going to be to travel between Louisiana and Indonesia, but you need a plan to make it all real. The very, very worst thing for me was during our early days together when I would return to England not knowing when I would be able to visit again. The emotional turmoil that creates can be unbearable. As it is, 3-5 weeks separation at a time can still be a trial, but at least we do know when we shall see each other again.

As Fred mentioned, a long-distance relationship still has all the challenges of any other relationship. I suspect these may have taken longer to surface in our case, but they are still there. We have to sort these in the short times we have together and I think we are probably quite good at doing this. I have never before known anyone with whom I can talk about anything and everything. PA is as wise a counsellor and friend in real life as he is on web forums! Once again it is so liberating knowing that whatever I say is not going to induce a massive hissy-fit. I believe the same is true for PA, but he would have to confirm that! That sense of liberation gives the relationship a firm foundation and a lot of confidence. That confidence reinforces trust.

Coming back to your question, only you will know what is right for you. I think you are right to acknowledge that there are difficulties in the way the relationship was born that may spill over. The extended periods of separation, the costs and the time you would need to donate to the relationship may require more resources than you have at your disposal. That you think of other people too may not be the problem you suspect. Moving from one relationship state to another does not all happen at once. The words may be there. The physical reality may be there. Even the heart may be there, but the habits we have developed up to that point need a while longer to change. It's a bit like learning a new skill. You need time for your changed status to develop its own "muscle-memory" while the new rules of engagement bed in.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide to do.

As for me ... just four days to go now before PA and I spend the whole of August and the first week of September together Dance

Oh geez!!! I never thought about cheating and trust and such. UGH!!

Update:
I called him, had a very frank discussion, and then broke off communication.
I know it is a rather cold thing to do, but like I said he isn't the only person I think about.
It was only fair to him that I give him the chance to find someone who is sure of wanting a relationship instead of leading him on just to be nice.
Thanks guys for your input. It helped me to come to the best conclusion.

Well done. That must be a load off your shoulders. Xyxthumbs