Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Before or After?
Just wondering... Is it more typical for one to come out after one pursues a gay relationship or before? Presumably after... right?

Forgive me if i've already answered my own question Wink ... but any insight would be appreciated Smile

I don't think there is a correct answer...whatever feels right for each person I suppose. I came out before I ever even considered having a relationship or sex for that matter. (But I got busy right afterwards! :biggrinSmile

That's awesome! And you're probably right about there not being a correct answer... there usually never is to most questions Wink it's all relative...

I don't know about "correct" and I'm not sure about "typical" either. Surely it depends on upbringing and circumstances? I had the sort of upbringing where I found it very difficult to come to terms with being gay, so much so that I tried to repress it for many, many years. After I was able to come out to myself I decided eventually to come out to others as a pre-emptive strike, before someone else could out me. I guess it was prompted by falling for a man and wanting to be in a relationship with him. It never happened.

indeed... circumstances would likely play a role in how/when a person comes out... I suppose one would know they're gay regardless of whether or not they've been in or pursued a gay relationship. The whole chicken before the egg doesn't apply...Thumbgrin

I came out before.Confusedmile:
But to be honest, i was never really "in" the closet. I had just never told anyone that i was gay.(And was a little nervous too)
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

I don´t know the right way.....

I think, I have done both at the same time, I never had thinked really about "coming out" or how and why to tell it.... as first staying out for nights sometimes, and because I was only 16 at this time I must explain to my mother why I´m not at home and who´s the guy in the car taken me home. mmmh ... Let´s tell me, that I wasn´t a diplomatic person at that time. I was only proud to have a boyfriend.... so I´m saying the truth... and could see how easy the blood from someones face get out. Two days we havn´t spoken together... and then she cames to me... "This Guy I want to see next Friday before you get out"..
But from my knowledge of now ... I´m thinking thats a really hard school for parents and friends to tell it this way.... and it must happen much more sensitive and careful.

Vikta Wrote:Just wondering... Is it more typical for one to come out after one pursues a gay relationship or before? Presumably after... Smile

For me, I came out first. I felt it would be dishonest of me to persue a relationship while still in the closet.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

I like your line of thought Colin... being open and honest before pursuing a relationship.

Everyones insight has helped flip the script... In a good way Wink ... thanks!

I guess I'll never really experience coming out as a gay man (oh, how I wish I could..) to know what it actually is like. However, I believe that if one has discovered that he is homosexual and he is not in a relationship yet, it'd be better to come out first.