Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
l feel so proud...
Hi All,
I thought id post and announce i feel like ive achieved something... It took me 90 minutes to do.. All i had was a screw driver and bare hands.. I have 3 teddies sitting on it and feel its the greatest achievement to date... I put a shelf up... I have never been able to do this successfully and was so damn proud of myself as i cant understand instructions with all the pictures u get with them so i figured it out by hand and mind... I know it only covers half a meter of wall but last time i tried to do it where i used to live with a drill i broke the drill and tried to re straighten it afterwards with me hands forgetting how bloody hot they get... Big bleeding blisters OUCH lol

Well thought id share some happy news Smile

Kindest regards

DIY novice

Zeon x

This brought a smile to my face as it reminded me of the first days of my relationship with Tom, my partner of 10+ years. When we first met he was living in a fabulous loft conversion flat of brick and timber. However it was very dated and nothing had been updated since it was first converted back in the mid 80's. Even his furniture was still in the same position as it was when the movers dropped his stuff in it on the day he took possession. Back then Tom needed to read a service manual to figure out what end of a hammer to hold. It took a year of weekend projects to update his loft, but in the end it looked amazing and he got the highest price in the building when he sold.

Things have changed a lot since then, and we have gone through 3 property renos that have covered everything from tearing down walls, to roofing, plumbing and electrical. He still freaks out every time I pull out my old circular power saw, but he has enjoyed learning new skills and loves the process of property renewal.

We are now planning the total gut and reno of our current home and he still makes me stop and explain every detail of every step of the process before I am allowed to demo anything.

It starts with a shelf and ends with walls coming down!

Cheers
greg

hehe i know nothing about diy and i know it is only small but as u learn things on your own and with no help you get accumstomed to it i guess i never worry about accidents which i should all i know is dont drill near electric plughs lol

Nothing better than a bit of DIY to make you feel all manly. Wink
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

OMG My mother keeps making me help my brother with fixing up the house... Not my type of usual work -_-'

Congratz! Today a shelf tomorrow a handyman! :biggrin: I am right there with you on instructions with diagrams, I purchased an easel 4 years ago that still remains unassembled (broke down and bought another already assembled).

Congratulations, Zeon. What a man! Clap

I've been keen to get my drilll out and put up shelves in PA's apartment for years. Maybe then we'd be able to find the floors and the grand piano, which I know are in there somewhere. I don't think he's very keen for me to make holes in his nice wallpaper though. He also has more of an aesthetic sense of what shelves should look like as opposed to the somewhat more functional outcome of my basic diy skills.

Shelves: Size does matter.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

I did do something kinda adventerous...

It was a warm spring day two days ago and my mate needed his ivy taking down which had grown from the bottom of his house to the 5th floor of his home and over the roof so I decided to accept the task with a pair of secarteirs cut all the bastard thing down and within 4 hours id got it to a reasonable level and then dug the sod out the ground and left the house visable again.. I did tell him the rooms look ALOT brighter now

And my next goal around my flat is to figure out how to apply anti damp protection stuff and re paint my bedroom and kitchen and lounge Big Grin... Before that though i need to wipe all the walls down with anti bacterial stuff to kill off the dampness and restore it back befopre i re seal it

Kindest regards

zeon

Yikes, zee, there's no stopping you now!