Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Ron Paul the only GOP candidate that will legalize gay marriage?
He has clearly said he wants to legalize gay marriage as well as drugs saying that adults can do what they want so long as it doesn't infringe on anyone elses rights? Is that true? He's got my vote!

Fred Karger but theres little chance he'd actually win the nomination :/

That's not exactly true. Ron Paul thinks it should be up to the states. He's certainly a better GOP candidate than some others (at least in terms of liberties if that's a primary voting concern; there are other areas where he may be worse), and I'm glad that he at least has called others on their hypocrisy, but he wouldn't legalize gay marriage nationwide or anything.

There are many reasons not to vote for a libertarian, even if they support gay marriage. Sadly, I think many of the gay hating republicans are probably lesser evils than Ron Paul's Libertarian fanaticism.

Why don't you just support a more conservative Democrat?

My first litmus test for a candidate is not gay marriage...it is the candidates position on a woman's right to choose what happens to her body. You can learn alot about a candidate who does not believe in a woman's right to choose.

The obvious thing for me is that someone who thinks they have the 'right" to tell someone else what they can or cannot do with their own body will certainly affect me as a gay man.

My second criteria is the environmental record of the candidate. Do they have a conscience? Do they understand that we owe the next generation clean air and water?...or does greed and a sense of entitlement guide them?

More often than not the candidates who have a strong support of a woman's right to choose and a strong environmental conscience also support gay marriage.

Based on what is important to me I would recommend Dennis Kucinich...or here in California we have Nancy Pelosi, Barbra Boxer and Jerry Brown who fit all of the criteria and I am very happy with all three of them.

Of course...you have to decide what is important to you as an individual and hopefully vote with your own conscience.

I respect Ron Paul because he is honest and he is not afraid to take an unpopular viewpoint. I do not agree with him on most issues.

i hope so if he does ill be soo happy for him and all of you guys gay men and women rule the nation

but then again what if hes lying and just want to get on

hmmmmmmm

East Wrote:The obvious thing for me is that someone who thinks they have the 'right" to tell someone else what they can or cannot do with their own body will certainly affect me as a gay man.

I personally do not see how a politician's belief that unborn children have rights that need to be protected affects me as a gay man in the slightest.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

fredv3b Wrote:I personally do not see how a politician's belief that unborn children have rights that need to be protected affects me as a gay man in the slightest.

People that believe they have the right to tell other people what decisions to make with their own bodies definitely affect gay people. The same anti choice crowd is largely anti gay.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion..as am IWink

To reply to you in reverse order.

East Wrote:The same anti choice crowd is largely anti gay.

Thank you for making my point for me. The anti-choice crowd is largely anti-gay, therefore by definition they are not wholly or necessarily anti-gay. I prefer to find out a a politician's actual views on gay rights, rather than presume them based on their views on abortion.

East Wrote:People that believe they have the right to tell other people what decisions to make with their own bodies definitely affect gay people.

I believe smokers have a right to smoke themselves to death. That does not mean I believe they have a right to do it in a confined space where others will be harmed by it, particularly where they have not entered that space for the purpose of inhaling someone else's smoke. I certainly believe that people have a civic duty (not merely a right) to stop people harming others. If you think it is acceptable for someone to stand idly by when they believe that one person is killing another, then that it your opinion. It is not one that I share or respect.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

On another note, there are plenty of reasons not to vote for someone who is anti-abortion because of their views on abortion which limit the rights of women. There is something to the fact that someone willing to arbitrarily limit the rights of one group is quite likely to turn around and arbitrarily limit the rights of another. However, depending on your views abortion may not fall under that category. Nonetheless, I wouldn't support someone who was anti-abortion even if they were pro-gay.

I don't understand why any gay man would vote for a Tory, but I can't understand why straight people vote for the Tories either.