Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on what to do with a homeless 18yo
Ok, first let me preface this with the fact that I'm not trying to date or hook up with this kid. I'm twice his age and he's way too young to even think about that with.

So, I was on grindr talking to a friend after midnight on Sunday night when this kid messaged me out of the blue. He introduced himself, then proceeded to ask for help. His mother, who he'd just moved in with, had thrown him and all his stuff out of her apt. He was outside, it was raining, and he couldn't reach anyone he knew.
I asked if he could call his Dad, he said he lives in another city, and had thrown him out when he found out he's gay. I asked if he could call his grandparents for help, he said he's only got a grandmother and she's in a nursing home.
So I agreed to pick him up and let him crash with me till morning when he could reach any friends. Which I did, and we hung out for about three hours and were ready to go to sleep when a friend of his, a 22yo gay guy who I have no info at all on, told him if I brought him to the guy's place he could stay with him. I thought that would be the end of it, good deed done. I drove him there and gave him my number in case things went bad, then came home feeling good that I'd helped this kid.
Well he started texting me on Monday morning, asking for other bits of help. Do I know how he can get a social security card, can I drive him there? Do I know anything about how to get him public assistance, can I drive him there? Can I come get him so he can do his laundry at my house? Do I know where he can get a state ID card, can I give him the money to get one and take him for it?
This is all basic human needs stuff, which I totally understand, I just don't want or need the responsibility of taking care of this kid. He's adorable like all 18yo's, well mannered, smart, etc. I just don't really want to get more involved and have him reliant on me, I thought my part was done when I helped unload his stuff at his friends place.
I know he hasn't contacted his mother, he'd told me she'd gone nuts and thrown him out over his asking for a key so he could get back in to the apt. He says she's bi polar so he doesn't want to go back to that. I feel terrible for this kid, he has no one, but again I don't really want to get more involved.
Should I suck it up and help however I can? Should I just block him and not give it another thought?
I mean I was sleeping off some food poisoning tonight at 3am when he texted asking about the ID and money...dunno what to do.