Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on wines? :)
So, my significant other is REALLY into the finer things of life like wine. Its been interesting learning experience for me as Ive never really had wine and he never really had ale/hard ciders Big Grin soo we got to introduce each other to allot of new stuff haha. Anyway, he is taking off work next weekend and staying over again and I wanted to have something nice waiting for him and was gonna pick out a wine we would both enjoy and make some grilled chicken fettuccine Alfredo! Big Grin I however know almost nothing about wines and prior to meeting Kevin I thought a bottle of wine was like 50-100+$ on average haha now learning a bottle is averagely more like 10-40 (yes ignorance is bliss haha). Can someone with experience give me a run down of wines like differences in red, white etc? He said a while back his favorite was like mocado?!? so far ive only tried a white zinfadel and it was OK Smile I think I would prefer sweeter.

So if I like something like hard cider and he likes mocado I think mocado is a sweet wine so it may be good anyway, but what do you guys suggest for us? Id ask him but dont wanna spoil the surprise Big Grin

I'm no expert on wines but I think I know the basics Confusedmile:, for a chicken dish like alfredo I'd suggest a medium white wine... something like Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay since red wines are generally thought to go best with red meat dishes.

Hope it goes well for you! Wink

I worked with wine for quite a while so I maybe be able to help a little as said above red wine tends to go with darker meats and white with fish and poultry. I haven't however heard of mocado but you say it's really sweet so could I wonder if you meant moscato or it could be one you have in America n not what we have here? Moscato is a personal favourite for me I prefer sweeter wines so I would got for that but I'm not sure what your range and brands you have there so I can't really say which to get only that I had a wolf blass moscato the other day and it was really nice.
Hope that helps abit Smile

SilverBullet Wrote:So, my significant other is REALLY into the finer things of life like wine. Its been interesting learning experience for me as Ive never really had wine and he never really had ale/hard ciders Big Grin soo we got to introduce each other to allot of new stuff haha. Anyway, he is taking off work next weekend and staying over again and I wanted to have something nice waiting for him and was gonna pick out a wine we would both enjoy and make some grilled chicken fettuccine Alfredo! Big Grin I however know almost nothing about wines and prior to meeting Kevin I thought a bottle of wine was like 50-100+$ on average haha now learning a bottle is averagely more like 10-40 (yes ignorance is bliss haha). Can someone with experience give me a run down of wines like differences in red, white etc? He said a while back his favorite was like mocado?!? so far ive only tried a white zinfadel and it was OK Smile I think I would prefer sweeter.

So if I like something like hard cider and he likes mocado I think mocado is a sweet wine so it may be good anyway, but what do you guys suggest for us? Id ask him but dont wanna spoil the surprise Big Grin

I know little about wines (i'm more into beer or hard alcohol lol), but your night planned sounds lovely. Hope you both enjoy!

I think he means Moscato...lol

Yeah, white wine goes with fish/chicken dishes and red wine goes with red meat dishes.

If you want to get a quick run-down on different types of wines, look up a wine-tasting in your local area, you'll be able to sample a large variety of wines there.

My personal favorites are Moscato, Riesling, Sweet Red, Blush, and White Zinfandel, Pink Moscato is good too.

Pinot Grigio I've found is great for reducing into meat for spaghetti or meat loaf.

And Merlot is good in moderation, it just has a very strong flavor.

I would recommend a red wine or possibly a white wine.

[Image: 41f29bff50bff85f5d4cc5b05555e5e6.jpg]

I like La Cardbordeaux.

justbry87 Wrote:[Image: 41f29bff50bff85f5d4cc5b05555e5e6.jpg]

I like La Cardbordeaux.

An excellent vintage "Justbry"! Smile

A good medium white wine is generally considered good with what you guy are having as the main course, Moscato is generally considered a bit too sweet to serve with the chicken/cream sauce. A great desert wine after the meal though. You should be able to find a Pinot Gegio or a young Chardonnay or maybe a German white that will complement the meal without spending too much.

I definitely could get two bottles of quality wine; one with the meal and a Moscato for dessert for less than $40 US.

PS all wine snobbery aside....the one important thing is to get what you like, no rules just guidelines.

Again, go to a wine-tasting, most of the time it's a free event and you'll get to sample the different flavors, this way you'll know what you like...just don't go out and buy a bottle without tasting it first...I hate Merlot and Pinot Grigio to drink, but I do like to use them in cooking.