Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Akward or Easy STD Testing Experience?
Recently wanted to get my first STD/HIV test but Its kinda of inconvenient and I kinda wish it was anonymous. Wanted to get a poll of what's the best types of places to go, how often do most of you get tested, is it an easy process? Tips on how to be good about going consistently or if there are resources you use to help? Need Help!

Department of Public Health, right next to the City Hall used to do it free and 100% anonymous in San Francisco.

I still use the public health department when I'm off the medical insurance.

Since I was in a long term relationship with a pos partner I just got used to having the test through my medical insurance. It was just easier.

you can get a home test kit for the hiv

i used public health and never had a glitch, the county hospital Denver Health has a STD clinic. The HEP vaccination was free too. Contact your local LGBT Center where you live for more options, places open closer to where you live what ever so your more inclined to get tested.

While getting tested may be an "Inconvenience" it also shows you are taking care of yourself.
I use to get embarrassed and felt ashamed to ask my GP for a STI/HIV test (Before I came out) where as now I'm literally like just give me the test.

Great questions! Getting tested is not nearly as inconvenient as having an undetected infection...

I would think in San Francisco there would be many choices for testing. I had my first at Planned Parenthood and they were very professional about it. Seattle sometimes has free testing, advertised within the LGBT community.

How often to get tested depends on how active you and your partner are. Your profile says you're in an open relationship, so you may as well be sleeping with your partner's partners (clinically speaking). Annual testing is minimal. With multiple partners, every 4 months is often recommended. Put it on the calendar! Use a sticker or symbol if you don't want to just write it out. Hopefully you can talk with your partner and agree to a schedule, then remind each other.

Treat it as a matter-of-fact occurrence, like going to the dentist. Health care providers are used to this. Get over it being awkward or inconvenient. You owe it to yourself.

I just go to my GP these days used to go to a free sexual health clinic that was in the city.

Testing isn't there to be an inconvenience, its there so you can make sure that your sexual health is as it should be. Not everything is solved with an injection or a short program of medication, some things will stay with you for the rest of your life if you contract them and you need to know you're not spreading them to anyone else if you did have anything.

I got tested last month, there was nothing inconvenient about it and the doctor got samples to get me tested for everything. I've only had 1 partner but I don't truly know his sexual habits before we met. I'm clean but there was always the chance that I could of had something.

http://www.cdcnpin.org/scripts/std/index.asp

Here is a link to the - CDC - that should answer your questions about STD's and perhaps even ones you did not know you had.

http://http://std-testing-san-francisco.com/

Here is a link to - 82 - locations in your area for having these test preformed; you should note they allow for anonymous testing and also have same day results. One or two should be convenient to you home or work place.

Once you have worked out when you need to be tested you may want to note it on the calendar of your computer - it should then automatically remind you.