Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anti-depressants: Opinions, Experiences, ETC.
They help some people I think but I have seen others zogged up to their eyeballs constantly, people who had been in control before and I don't agree with that.

So they are not for me but only as a last resort would I agree with them for others, the reason for that being that it would force the doctors to come up with a more accurate diagnosis rather than washing their hands of it by simply prescribing these happy pills for their patents.

loserguy Wrote:They help some people I think but I have seen others zogged up to their eyeballs constantly, people who had been in control before and I don't agree with that.

So they are not for me but only as a last resort would I agree with them for others, the reason for that being that it would force the doctors to come up with a more accurate diagnosis rather than washing their hands of it by simply prescribing these happy pills for their patents.

Perfect. I lyrics if needed as a last resort for suicide ppl
Other than that way too many side effects.

Think about it. How can a pill that changes your brain chemistry and who you are be good for you. You were made that way for a reason.

Therapy will and does help.

Last resort is the AD and in some cases is needed. Otherwise if u r not suicide attempt to break through on your own.

Also, don't take anti-psychotic medications if you strongly believe that you are not psychotic. I had doctors tell me that I was psychotic, and I thought that the worst that would happen would be that I would just be calmer.
Nope. I became a zombie. Literally, a zombie. And I'm a vegetarian, so that was an ethically challenging time.

Kackerlacka Wrote:Think about it. How can a pill that changes your brain chemistry and who you are be good for you. You were made that way for a reason.
But they don't change who you are. They do change your brain chemistry, but that can be a good thing when your brain chemistry is sending you into an endless loop of depression. A change in the chemistry of someone stuck in this can allow them to live a normal life away from the muck that is keeping them down, and yes they are still themselves. Depression is not a normal state of life, and no one should ever accept that it's just who they are. It's a disease, much like cancer, and it can and should be treated.

Kackerlacka Wrote:Therapy will and does help.
Although this part is certainly true. I'd never recommend touching any drugs unless therapy was already being used as treatment. They go hand-in-hand very well, and drugs can be used wrong without guidance.

Kackerlacka Wrote:I'm sorry this isn't true at all. I've experienced them first hand. Researchers will tell u it does all this amazing stuff until you see it happen first hand to you. I honestly became a careless person and more irritable. They sell this drug to millions. Why would they ever wanna bash it and tell you all the negative effects it has? They don't wanna do that. So you keep buying there product and money is mad. Do you know that each new AD that comes out is given the same test. And no other tests are run for other possible side effects? The whole reason your sex drive is diminished is because dopamine receptors are being blocked. There is so much serotonin in your brain, that you dopamine receptors start giving and receiving serotonin, which is where dopamine cannot come through anymore. Why do u think ppl kill themselves on these drugs. My family knows 7 people have have committed suicide while taking AD. As well as my uncle attempting too.

I am really not trying to dispute your personal experiences. But physics and chemistry don't lie. You being wrongly diagnosed or fed the wrong drugs for the wrong reasons is another matter. But serotonine doesn't block receptors. Serotonine is a neurotransmitter, not an inhibitor.
Bashing large pharmaceuticals for being money hungry bastards is fine, but depressions without any medicine involved also end in suicides.
The really hard part about treating depressions is that you cannot simply give them a pill and say "hey, go be happy, now you've got the neurotransmitters available". There's more to curing illnesses of the mind than just medication, but you don't need me to tell you that.
I can't open the first link.
The second link verifies what I wrote in the first post.

But while we bash on one of two options available to treat depressions, let's not forget that medicine statisticly beats therapy by a long shot. There are just more cases where counseling is blamed for suicide than there are cases of SSRIs being blamed.
It's not easy to treat the mind.

Ok, so

SSRI = Selective Serotonin Recapture Inhibitor

They act through the increase in the amount of extracelular Serotonin in the sinapsis by blocking the Recapture Transporter for Serotonin of the neuron that released it.

[Image: Drug_SSRI_2.png]

The functions of serotonin are mostly inhibitory, in the regulation of apetite, libido, sleep. And also acts in the control of anxiety, fear and the likes by intervening dopaminergic pathways.

To put you in a place most people would understand, given how its often talked about, other inhibitors of serotonin recapture would be cocaine, ecstasy, amphetamines..

you can expect the same effects from SSRI (granted, less in intensity, given how legal medications come in controlled dosis)

These medications where designed to keep you "carefree happy" is you grasp what I'm saying.

As with any anti-depressant you can expect alteration of sleep patterns, headaches, nausea.

Most secondary effects will go away after a few weeks when your organism has adapted to the medication.

This is what I can tell you purely on my theoretical knowledge

People here who have taken them will tell you that effects vary from person to person. Some even question the actual effectiveness of SSRI (in cases of mild depression or anxiety) but statistical analysis shows that they are effective for the most part and especially in cases of severe depression/anxiety

I myself only took benzodiazepines when I was a teen, and those are more on the side of dealing with stress/anxiety (heavy sleep-inducers btw) than in "keeping you happy", so I don't have much experience with your particular kind of medications other than in theory

southbiochem Wrote:Ok, so

SSRI = Selective Serotonin Recapture Inhibitor

They act through the increase in the amount of extracelular Serotonin in the sinapsis by blocking the Recapture Transporter for Serotonin of the neuron that released it.

[Image: Drug_SSRI_2.png]

The functions of serotinin are mostly inhibitory, in the regulation of apetite, libido, sleep. And also acts in the control of anxiety, fear and the likes by intervening dopaminergic pathways.

To put you in a place most people would understand, given how its often talked about, other inhibitors of serotonin recapture would be cocaine, ecstasy, amphetamines..

you can expect the same effects from SSRI (granted, less in intensity, given how legal medications come in controlled dosis)

These medications where designed to keep you "carefree happy" is you grasp what I'm saying.

As with any anti-depressant you can expect alteration of sleep patterns, headaches, nausea.

Most secondary effects will go away after a few weeks when your organism has adapted to the medication.

This is what I can tell you purely on my theoretical knowledge

People here who have taken them will tell you that effects vary from person to person. Some even question the actual effectiveness of SSRI (in cases of mild depression or anxiety) but statistical analysis shows that they are effective for the most part and especially in cases of severe depression/anxiety

I myself only took benzodiazepines when I was a teen, and those are more on the side of dealing with stress/anxiety (heavy sleep-inducers btw) than in "keeping you happy", so I don't have much experience with your particular kind of medications other than in theory

Well explained south.

Perfect. Yes it does vary from person to person

Anonymous Wrote:Been talking with my GP about going on Anti-depressants; it's a last resort really, as I've been stuck in a rut for years. SSRI's to be exact. ...Anyone got any advice, info, opinions, personal experiences, . I think I remember hearing in passing that at least a few here have strong opinions on them, so, thoughts?

I've got a lot of experience with this class of meds. Mostly with family members, but I went on paxil and Gabapentin myself for depression and anxiety for a bit, but decided to go off them when my libido tanked (a typical side effect).

I have found a solution that has helped without using medication. I strongly advise you to avoid meds if you can for lots of reasons. I began a practice of "Mindfulness Meditation" every day. Look on YouTube, and Google "Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn" - I suggest reading his book - 'Where ever you go there you are" (and others). Simply put, this is mind training - and it's remarkable how it helps with depression and anxiety, and panic disorders.

Message me if you're interested in learning more. Good Luck!

over prescribed by lazy doctors and addiction forming by lazy 'depressed' people.