Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are we shoving our gayness down people's throats?
I see a lot of things that the 'Gay Community' do that makes me cringe in the sense that it is shoving your sexuality down someone elses throat, and Mardis Gras would be the prime example in my opinion.

I wonder why we fight so hard to be 'normal' by acting so abnormal, why we segregate ourselves in our own 'community' when we want to be part of THE community.

Yes, I think the way the flamboyant minority behave often alieantes the wider community and gives the wrong impression of who the rest of us are and to some of us that don't don't have problems just get frustrated with the whole situation.

When you think how far we've come since it could mean a life sentence to even BE gay and that there are still those alive who campaigned damn hard for the freedoms we now take for granted, I don't think we should let people forget that we're here, we're queer and... er... we're not anywheere!

I think I started writing an answer and then -- poof!!! --- I deleted it by striking the wrong keys.... alas!!! I'll have to start thinking again.

I don't think we're shoving anything down anyone's throat. When there's a Gay Pride, which is one day of any given year, it's easy to avoid it by not going into town, surely. Like some of the posts that are on this site, if you don't want to read them, you don't have to. It's still important to celebrate those recently acquired freedoms and not to forget those who are still far away behind, especially in other countries.
Someone mentioned Mardi Gras, the origins of which should be seen as a safety valve. It was the one day, in former times, when the roles were inverted... the king was no longer the king and the fool took his place. A day of wild craziness to get it out of their systems, to vent without it needing to become full-fledged terrorism. A sufficiently disgruntled or angry population would be much more dangerous for the powers that be. See what happened to Louis XVI in France? He wasn't such a bad person, on a human level, it would seem, but he took the brunt of representing all the privileges that a tired and hungry population thought should cease. The rest is both a beautiful and ugly story. Knowing when to let people let off steam is a way of managing too much anger.

Sometimes

Though i think theres a murky line sometimes between whats percieved as flamboyant and just not being repressed any longer and being fearless though sometimes they just want to shove it down my throat, literally, its so gay.

I don't think I have much of a opinion on the matter. I don't hang out with any gay people any more. Most of my friends are straight. Not that it matters. Me and my friends still joke about me being gay. I guess the best thing for me to do is enjoy life as it's pretty equal here in New Zealand now.

Joshular Wrote:I don't think I have much of a opinion on the matter. I don't hang out with any gay people any more. Most of my friends are straight. Not that it matters. Me and my friends still joke about me being gay. I guess the best thing for me to do is enjoy life as it's pretty equal here in New Zealand now.
Yay for that, Josh. I guess it would be nice for most people to be able to interact with their peers no matter what their sexual orientation.... in all the countries of the world. The battle may be over in New Zealand (good for you) but it's still vitally important not to let our guards down elsewhere... Bighug to you.

Oh Shit, you guys are gay??? Now you tell me!

I dont know about you, but I get this hetero-normative vibe shoved in my face everyday. I think they are too pushy sometimes

Wait this is a gay forum? This changes everything :eek:

This post is so ridiculous it isn't even worth arguing.