Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attempting sobriety, need some advice
Admitting to have a problem and working on the solution has to be one of the hardest steps. So you've atleast gotten that far.
Well done! Best of luck with the rest.

After 15 or so years of heavy drinking, I gave up alcohol a little over 2 years ago. For me, the time came where I realized that the worst things I've ever done have been when I was drunk, and that I didn't like the person I had become as a result of the drinking. You can do it, too! Take it one day at a time, and don't beat yourself up if you slip up. Also, if you're a bar-hopping social butterfly, try and find some other, non-alcoholic venues and friends to spend time with. Breaking old routines is a lot easier if you take yourself out of your routine surroundings, and away from the people you associate with drinking. Best of luck!

I'm really glad you're able to take the first step and be able to admit you have a problem in your hands. My dad was a pretty bad alcoholic for many years as I grew up. He was never violent towards and if it ever came to that, it was mostly verbal. What was the biggest concern was obviously his health, and long story, short. He ended up in a coma for almost a month. Two weeks later, they were close to plugging off the life machine thingy and he woke up. Ever since then, it literally turned his life around. Alcohol is good moderation, but lots of it can do a lot damage. I hope all of this works out for you. Good luck! Smile