Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Australia repeal same sex marriages
Undreamt Wrote:lol well that changes the odds considerably.

even without a double dissolution election I'd still say the odd are at about 60% in favor of gay marriage being legal in Australia befor the next election.

I don't know what bets you can make online that you can hold someone to.

How about full body wax below the neck?

Lol...well that would be wasted on me as I don't have a strand of hair other than the 'usual' places.

My opinion is that there will be a 'conscience vote' but that is not writing it into law and Tony Abbott will oppose SSM until his dying day, so as long as TA is PM it isn't going to happen.

Now that leaves 2 possibilities.

1) Double disillusion were upper and lower houses are desolved because they can't agree and there is no out, leaving Australia without a government until the people go back to the polls and vote for the new upper an lower houses.

2) A change in leader, the obvious choice would be Malcolm Turnbull who is known to be a lot less conservative than Abbott.

In my opinion, SSM will not happen with TA.

I fell for you. Daz if you want you can move to kiwi land and marry me :3

That thought is extremely appealing Josh, but I need temperatures over 24c and no snow Sad

dfiant1 Wrote:That thought is extremely appealing Josh, but I need temperatures over 24c and no snow Sad

Wuss much!

Also I made dis
It's for Tooooone AAaaaabooort
[Image: Photoon2013-12-15at0704_zpsab64cc97.jpg]

Joshular Wrote:Wuss much!

Also I made dis
It's for Tooooone AAaaaabooort
[Image: Photoon2013-12-15at0704_zpsab64cc97.jpg]

You do know I'm jumping to a plane right now if Kiwi-state has snow, right?

Anyway, I'm still left with my original doubt

if marriage licenses were extended when it was legal why are they void now with this turn of events?

southbiochem Wrote:You do know I'm jumping to a plane right now if Kiwi-state has snow, right?

if marriage licenses were extended when it was legal why are they void now with this turn of events?

It be summer here. We only snow in the winter. And there are no kiwi-states lol just the land of the long what cloud aka Aotearoa

southbiochem Wrote:You do know I'm jumping to a plane right now if Kiwi-state has snow, right?

Canberra, where Same Sex Marriage was legal for 5 days, is a territory of Australia and also the capital City of Australia. Canberra passed their own local marriage laws. However, under Australian Federal law for a marriage to be legally recognised in Australia, it must be between 1 man and 1 woman.

So yes, since the Australian Federal Court deemed the marriages unconstitutional, they are no longer recognised as married couples in Australia.

I don't know if they go to New Zealand (For example), if their marriage would be recognised there.

I say "marriage" is nothing but a joke anyway.

Most people who do get "married", dont stay married. Its a waste of time, money, and effort.

I read a story from CA when "gay marriage" was overturned.....that almost 90% of the "gay marriages" were already divorced by the time the law was overturned.

So WHY even bother with the laws????? Its a waste of taxpayers money either way you fight it, and a useless gesture.

MisterTinkles Wrote:I read a story from CA when "gay marriage" was overturned.....that almost 90% of the "gay marriages" were already divorced by the time the law was overturned.

Sounds extremely unlikely and I didn't find anything doing a quick search. Got a source for this?

Still, if you believe that, then why not repeal all marriage laws? Even many of the marriages that last suck with those married for decades often sleeping in different rooms because they can barely stand each other while finding it unfeasible to divorce for various reasons. Then entire reason the government involved itself in marriage in the first place was to keep the white race pure.

MisterTinkles Wrote:So WHY even bother with the laws????? Its a waste of taxpayers money either way you fight it, and a useless gesture.

'Course just one reason out of many why it matters...

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/jun/25/w...ied-visit/

Quote:The family vacation cruise that Janice Langbehn, her partner Lisa Marie Pond and three of their four children set out to take in February 2007 was designed to be a celebration of the lesbian couple's 18 years together.

But when Pond suffered a massive stroke onboard before the ship left port and was rushed to Jackson Memorial Hospital, administrators refused to let Langbehn into the Pond's hospital room. A social worker told them they were in an "anti-gay city and state."

Langbehn filed a federal lawsuit Wednesday charging the hospital with negligence and "anti-gay animus" in refusing to recognize her and the children as Pond's family, even after a power of attorney was faxed to the hospital within an hour of their arrival

Quote:"No matter what your definition of family is, this family went through terrible indignities," said Donald Hayden, a Miami lawyer who joined the national advocacy group Lambda Legal in bringing the suit. "The partners here did everything they were supposed to do under law and were still denied visitation rights that should have been allowed."

Jackson officials declined to comment, except to say that the hospital follows state and federal laws on patient privacy that can forbid releasing health information to those outside the patient's immediate family.

Quote:Pond, 39, was pronounced dead of a brain aneurysm about 18 hours after being admitted to Jackson's Ryder Trauma Center. Langbehn said she was allowed in to see her partner only for about five minutes, as a priest gave Pond the last rites.

"I never thought almost 20 years of love and family could be disregarded in an instant," said Langbehn, a social worker who lives with her children in Lacey, Wash.

And from a man's PoV: