Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belated Hello
Hey babe, and (officially) welcome to Gayspeak Bighug.

It's great to have you onboard, and posting your lil socks away - please keep it up !

For what it's worth I did French, German, Law (which I flunked) and General Studies (which I might as well have flunked, as my general knowledge could LITERALLY be written on the back of a postage stamp).

:redface:.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

Shadow Wrote:For what it's worth I did French, German, Law (which I flunked) and General Studies (which I might as well have flunked, as my general knowledge could LITERALLY be written on the back of a postage stamp).

:redface:.

Wow, i used to do german at my secondary school, but i dropped it after the teacher became so much of a pain i couldnt stand going to the lessons anymore.
Isn't general studies (no offense) that weird course where the final question can be on anything and universities don't accept it?

Leyths Wrote:universities don't accept it?

I know some universities don't accept it, the more stuck up ones anyway lol. Not sure why, it's still a qualification after all

newc_student_18 Wrote:I know some universities don't accept it, the more stuck up ones anyway lol. Not sure why, it's still a qualification after all

Yeah, because i always noticed the little sign under all the courses i wanted to do saying 'General Studies not accepted', i always wondered why

To be honest ? I actually don't know ??

I never went to University :redface:.

BUT I can confirm that General Studies was mandatory when I was at secondary school ... I'd never have opted for it as I SUCK at that kinda thing ...

Rolleyes.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

IYA AND WELCOME. May I also say OMFG THE AMOUNT OF POSTS IN 2 HOURS 66?!?!?!?! THATS LIKE A DAYS WORTH :eek:
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]

Leyths Wrote:... i feel rude intruding on other peoples conversations ...

No need for that. This a public forum and everyone is invited. Just join in. The protocol is not the same as standing on your own in a pub!

Leyths Wrote:Wow, i used to do german at my secondary school, but i dropped it after the teacher became so much of a pain i couldnt stand going to the lessons anymore.

It's tragic how teachers can influence our choices like that. I did not get on with my French teacher at school (who was, for a year or two, also my form tutor). There was no getting away from him and I was a very BAD student. How was I to know that 35 years later I'd end up with a French boyfriend and have to try and learn to speak the language :confused: . Not that I need to, of course, with Albert being bilingual, but it seems only courteous when I spend such a lot of time in France and French-speaking Switzerland. If only French lessons at school had been so much fun ... Rolleyes

Quote:Isn't general studies (no offense) that weird course where the final question can be on anything and universities don't accept it?

newc_student_18 Wrote:I know some universities don't accept it, the more stuck up ones anyway lol. Not sure why, it's still a qualification after all

General studies used to be insisted upon by universities as evidence that the candidate had some interest in and knowledge of the world past and present and that s/he was able to string together a basic argument, even if the qualification did not count towards the points score required for a place. It is really more of a discipline than a subject. After all, to the best of my knowledge, it is still not something for which you can actually revise, is it?

Every university I looked into wouldn't accept it as a subject, not sure why. It wasnt really something I could revise for as basically in my sixth form it was merely asking for our opinions. Hence not being accepted or viewed as an academic subject.
[/COLOR]

Twazzle Wrote:It wasnt really something I could revise for as basically in my sixth form it was merely asking for our opinions. Hence not being accepted or viewed as an academic subject.

Thats strange reasoning by the universities when you think some subjects like History at an academic level are basically your interpretation of events, so id have thought by showing you have the ability to do that, via the general studies thing that would be a valuable tool for the universities to assess whether you have those skills

J x

newc_student_18 Wrote:Thats strange reasoning by the universities when you think some subjects like History at an academic level are basically your interpretation of events, so id have thought by showing you have the ability to do that, via the general studies thing that would be a valuable tool for the universities to assess whether you have those skills

J x

I thought it was wierd, took General as an extra thing, got through until 2 months before I finished year 13, Got told universities wont accept it. I was all hmm..
[/COLOR]