Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Case of homophobia?
Hi everyone.

I just wanted to share with you what happened to me today. I was out with friends, enjoying myself, when this girl made this comment about gay people like how disgusting she finds the whole idea of two guys together.

I understand that everybody has the right to their opinion, but it's moments like these when I start feeling guilty about who I am. I didn't even respond to her comment. The worst part is that I spent years accepting bullying, without doing anything about it. And the only reason I keep quiet right now is because I fear that these people will reject me for who I am.

I just wanted to know how you guys would handle this situation.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Well, since violence is out of the question (although a good smashing her head against the wall would do her some good), there's 2 things you can do, either show yourself as the gay you are and not put up with their crap, or you can simply choose a better set of friends..

you are free to choose whatever feels right the most.

Bigts and haters will roam around everywhere...if you feel up to the task stand up against themm but pick your fights wisely..otherwise..cut them off from your life...you don't need people who won't take you for who you are

Thanks south. I really don't know what she would say if she really knew. But I didn't see that coming, honestly. You would think the newer generation (and especially girls) would be ok with it. It seems that a lot of people I found nice in the beginning are really homophobic. I mean they might pretend they are okay with gay people, but as soon as we get to the "details" part, they become nasty.

Most of kids would seem liberal in a lot of aspects, but a lot of them too have been already influenced by the imperant ideas at home..

happen a lot here where I live, people for example fight about the communist party vs the right wingers just cause their families where fighting over those in the Cold War years

it's usually the same with homophobia, they have most likely acquired it at home, and at the worse and it pops up sooner or later

I think, at this point, I'm just so tired, that I'd be like, "Oh, I'll be sure to mention that to my boyfriend because your opinion is just so relevant to us.".

Who cares, really. Her opinion will (probably) change so fast if one of her kids or one of her favorite people become gay that it'll make your head spin. Like really...this isn't worth your time...

Edit: You also need to consider getting better friends, and if they're homophobic, rinse and repeat until you have friends that accept you/aren't homophobic. I did this in highschool a few times.

Or even better, presenting someone to her as my boyfriend lol But seriously, I know I shouldn't let these things get to me since everyone has the right to believe whatever they want. But still...

Another gemini, yea SmileSmile

She just needs a slap!! But don't feel guilty about who you are just cause she said something like that!! And if you can get a new friend!!

I've always had a problem with the whole "everyone has a right to their opinion" thing. For the most part, yes, I agree. But there should be some kind of limit. My favorite game of all time is Earthbound, but if someone came to me and said that they hated the game and explained why, then whatever. I'll respect their opinion because not everyone is gonna like the same thing. But, when it comes to stuff like hatred for homosexuals, a certain race of people, a certain gender, and stuff like that, I feel like their "opinion" is one that shouldn't just be shrugged off. It's an opinion, but it's a potentially harmful one. This may be an extreme example, but if someone said that, in their opinion, all people who practice any religion are scum of the earth and need to kill themselves to purify the human race, would you just say "Okay, I disagree, but I respect your opinion"? No! Fuckin...NO!

Hi Tony. Well, she didn't actually say that she wants to wipe out the gays. Thank God for that, but her whole attitute made me uncomfortable. And generally, even though I have fun with this group of people, sometimes I feel like I don't belong there. I mean they are all straight. And talking about girls all the time puts me in a difficult position because I don't know what to say, etc.
Last night we were out, and today I feel crappy by realizing all this. Realizing how important it is to be part of a group where you can be yourself, you are free to express yourself without fearing criticism. And unfortunately, I don't have that, and probably never had. Now I have to study, which sucks even more lol

I totally ignore comments like that, and totally ignore the person thereafter - well totally, i just make it clear I'm not interested in conversation, in a civil and polite minor.

As for the crowd you are with, well find a gay crowd. There are reasons why humans are clickish - meaning they hang with similar types to themselves....