Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christians and the Bible
Michael said something that I thought was very interesting a moment ago, and I'm sure he's right, but I thought it might warrant a poll and, since I now have a THING for them, I figured, why not ??

If you're a Christian (or even if you're not), how do you rank your familiarity with the bible from my list of options ... I've tried to be realistic, and don't worry - it'll be anonymous Cool.

Cheers guys !!

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

I don't mind speaking about my biblical knowledge, which is slim to nil. I know basic stories from the bible and have read a few passages many years ago when I was having a crisis of faith. Now, I don't really have a religion to follow, thus no need to really know the bible.
However, if I ever do decide to pick it up and read it someday, I would not read it as if I am to believe every word of it, but rather take it in as a story.

Interesting question,

I could wager....that religious intolerance could be pared with those who have been told what the bible says but haven't really taken the time to read it themselves. Really religious people tend to follow their faith and the meaning behind it..love, charity and all that.

As you know, Freds mom is really, really catholic. I'M sure she could quote verse for verse, but she would never ever point a finger at someone. She even found room in her heart for us becasue it was not her place to judge even though she doesn't understand it or agree with it.

There are several years, I had read the entire Bible, the Old Testament and the new, to know what I was talking about when I critiquais. Now I know what to criticize ...:biggrin:

well i go to a catholic school so i know about its teachings and all that, but i've never read the bible.

Wow !

That's a very varied and interesting set of responses so far - thanks guys !! Confusedmile:.

I put myself into the second category as, whilst the bible was always quoted at school during assemblies and so on, and at end-of-term services and what have you, and consequently my exposure to it has been consistent, if not consistently high ...

Cheers !

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

I don't know much about the Bible but the stuff I do has lead me to believe that it is a load of horse manure. It belongs in the fiction section of every library. That is my opinion on it, take it or leave it.

I notice that in the poll there is no answer that fits me.
I was not "raised" following any religion but chose to read the bible amongst other older and newer religious writings.
There are many versions of the bible all over the world in many languages and translated at different times in history, the version used in The Church of England is the King James Bible and includes the old and new testements.
within the Book of Laviticus it states that Me, a peace loving, done nothing to no one,hard working, pay my own way, friend to everyone, gay. should be stoned until death. its one of those passages in the bible that you wont hear quoted in the local church very often.
I personally believe that you either follow a religion as it is written or not at all. after all it is Gods word
PS i dont follow a religion.

fudger Wrote:... you either follow a religion as it is written or not at all. after all it is Gods word ...
Really? God is not credited with writing any of the 66 books of the Bible. People wrote them. People told the stories. People made the laws. People translated the translations. People decide which of the laws they keep and which of the stories they believe. People run the organised churches that tell believers what to believe. God only comes into it when people need an authority figure to frighten other people into doing as they're told. People create their gods to suit their needs.

Sorry marshlander my line "after all it is gods word" was supposed to be ironic.Confusedmile: