Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Destroying people belief?
I can't help but think of a Documantry on the BBC a while ago showing the grave of "jesus' family" including him, in this it proved that Jesus was married and had kids, if I remember correctly.

So the question is, is it right to take faith away from people?
Do they deserve to know the trouth about what happened 2000 years ago?

What comes into mind when I think about taking away religion is the most hated family in america, but honestly I don't like the idea of taking faith away from anyone be it people who take it to the extreem or people who like guide lines.
Should the informationbe put out their and hope people make up their own mind on it, even if religion has proven to be the best method of controling communities?

Withholding information from the masses does not make any sense.I don't see it as robbing people of their beliefs.The benefits of living in a democracy is that you have access to whatever information you want and then it is up to you to filter it out,choose what you want and dispose what you do not like.You made an example of the Jesus issue,I saw the Davinci Code but still I took what I wanted from it and that didn't change my faith in anyway whatsoever.

It has been a number of years since this article appeared but...

While living in Japan it was discovered that a brother of Jesus had visited Japan and had brought the body of Christ with him and left it in Japan... Well that was the base of the story anyways...Remybussi

If your faith is so fragile that someone can take it from you is it really worth hanging on to? People rarely, if ever, have faith taken away by someone else; they generally lose it or surrender it all by themselves.

I'll rip peoples' faith apart myself when I have to. I don't care if someone goes to church or has faith, its fine. But when they use that faith to say that things in the world are evil without truly understanding them, I will take it upon myself to tear apart every notion that makes them believe it. Its the beauty of having a history degree and knowing about the rise of Christianity and Catholicism, knowing the reality of it all.

I think that one of the most fascinating things about faith-driven beliefs is that they tend to survive often even the greatest of adversities ...

... if you were to look at faith in a slightly more day-to-day sense ... I think it's PROBABLY safe to say that everybody has faith in somebody ... there must be at least one person in each of your day-to-day lives, be it mother, father, best friend or similar, in whom you have what we would class as "faith".

Faith in them to do the right thing ... the right thing by you and for you. Faith in them to live good, wholesome, clean lives ... faith in them to never hurt you ...

... faith to my mind, whether it be in a concept or an ideal or a person or a place, ought not be brought into doubt or question ... nor ought it to be up for challenge.

I have faith that there is life after death. I have faith that there is a God, and that we are assessed on how we have lived our lives when we die ...

I have faith in the concept of reincarnation, as a method of bettering ourselves and/or repenting for the mistakes we have made in past lives ...

... I have faith in people ... and in my brothers ...

If I didn't have faith, I would be a broken man ... but my faith is my own - I don't push it onto other people ... it's a quiet, unspoken love for the things I truly believe in ... and nothing will shake that Confusedmile:.

... so whilst I don't think it's courteous of people to challenge the beliefs of others, where those beliefs are held to be pure and true, and where they are not doing anybody any harm by holding them ? Equally I don't think it's a terrible wrong to call them on it, as true faith in ANYTHING should be able to survive these type of tests ...

I do have a problem with people that seek to recruit others into their faith, or who judge others by the standards set by their faith ... e.g. religious zealots and martyrs. Nobody should have to die because you have a faith that differs from theirs.

xx

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

Shadow Wrote:but my faith is my own
I totally agree, its the way I see my faith.

Shadow Wrote:I do have a problem with people that seek to recruit others into their faith, or who judge others by the standards set by their faith ... e.g. religious zealots and martyrs. Nobody should have to die because you have a faith that differs from theirs.

We have a church down the road, but the people are really nice we get them at the door sometimes and if you say you will think about the religion it makes their day you know, so in some respect you can see why they do it not only because the bible says to but to feel good about it.

Shadow Wrote:I think that one of the most fascinating things about faith-driven beliefs is that they tend to survive often even the greatest of adversities ...

... if you were to look at faith in a slightly more day-to-day sense ... I think it's PROBABLY safe to say that everybody has faith in somebody ... there must be at least one person in each of your day-to-day lives, be it mother, father, best friend or similar, in whom you have what we would class as "faith" ...

... faith to my mind, whether it be in a concept or an ideal or a person or a place, ought not be brought into doubt or question ... nor ought it to be up for challenge...
I daresay we shall have this discussion many more times Wink

I would defend anyone's right to believe what they like with the usual proviso that they don't require others to believe the same things.

However, faith is a very different thing from trust and it sounds like you are not making much of a distinction. This is exacerbated by the way we often use the word "faith" in a colloquial way. We talk about having faith in other people when we actually mean we trust them, usually because we have experience, understanding and expectation (i.e. there is an evidence base) of how they will respond to people and to situations.

Faith is a different thing altogether. It is far more a belief in something that cannot yet and may never be proven or substantiated by scientific method. I believe Wink that faith is more informed by hope than by evidence.

Church is a anachronic institution this days.It may have been useful in the Dark Ages when the state and law enforcement were weak and the church and it's doctrine were the means to keep the mobs quiet and submissive with promises of afterlife, poor ppl that otherwise would have rebelled against the social injustices.
Unfortunately there are still some who find it easier to think there's a superior being that controls everything, good and bad, that rewards and punish you, and if you fail with something you can say that it wasn't meant to be, god didn't want that etc. - that's a consoling thought - and exactly the role that organized religion fulfills.