Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone think cities like New York, Paris and London are over-rated?
I'll just set this down right here...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6197921.stm

There we go.

Oh... and this is completely unrelated, but.. Tinks. Please, for the love of God, change your signature. Some people visiting the site might actually have seizure. And if not, it's still a serious headache.

dfiant1 Wrote:why do people get so offended by other peoples opinions? I mean seriously, you got your opinions, everyone else has theirs, why are we laying shit on someone for their opinions?

Grow up people, I am sick and fucking tired people homing in on something so fucking childish and insignificant and startying arguements...it why I left the first time and then came back cuntish to piss you all off.

agnostic jesus fucking hiratio christ.

When someone paints a picture of me and everyone I know as hateful, corrupt, thieves who want to kill you and beg for money...do you sincerely think I am supposed to keep my mouth shut and say nothing?

It was an opinion, nobody cares, I certainly don't care that Tinkles see's those areas like because the reality is that does happen in cities all around the world, some people judge based on that experience, others open their eyes and look deeper.

People are people and they are going to judge soley on their own experiences and form their own opinion. If you have your opinion about where you live, offer it, getting angry and starting a slanging match because someone elses opinion is different to your is going to achieve what exactly?

dfiant1 Wrote:why do people get so offended by other peoples opinions? I mean seriously, you got your opinions, everyone else has theirs, why are we laying shit on someone for their opinions?

Grow up people, I am sick and fucking tired people homing in on something so fucking childish and insignificant and startying arguements...it why I left the first time and then came back cuntish to piss you all off.

agnostic jesus fucking hiratio christ.
You really think that's childish?

I voiced a little bit of criticism, perhaps in a snarky manner, but you're no stranger to criticising people and their views.
Let's both enjoy the freedom to do so, eh?

don't like you, not going to respond Wink

dfiant1 Wrote:It was an opinion, nobody cares, I certainly don't care that Tinkles see's those areas like because the reality is that does happen in cities all around the world, some people judge based on that experience, others open their eyes and look deeper.

People are people and they are going to judge soley on their own experiences and form their own opinion. If you have your opinion about where you live, offer it, getting angry and starting a slanging match because someone elses opinion is different to your is going to achieve what exactly?

I fail to see how I started a fight...

What can I say?

You say 99% of Californians are hateful, corrupt, thieves who want to kill you and beg for money....

Mighty broad brush you have there...but go ahead and paint your picture. It speaks volumes.

I care because it is a lie.

In fact..I ignored it the last 10 times he ranted about California..didn't say a word. It made me not want to deal with him... and I haven't.

Okay, this kinda became a thing, which wasn't really my intention, for which I am sorry.
MisterTinkles Wrote:Oh, hun.........subhuman would have been a "stretch" for these people!!!!!

Now I did not say there WERE NOT any nice hoomins in CA, Im just saying what I saw, is pretty all I saw, on a daily basis. Im really shocked and surprised that CA has not ended up like Kiev.
I will just say my opinion as shortly and simply as possible, without the snarkiness.

I criticise people when they say stuff like that, not because it offends me, which it does, but because, how I see the world, that kind of thinking is one of the, if not the most dangerous kind of thinking.

Make of that what you will.

That I perceive that thinking as fairly common on this site, has made me a little bitter.

Just another day for Tinks in California (shows up in about 20 seconds):

Rofl

It's hard to answer the question, because it depends who you've been talking to. Is almost any big city overrated based off the statements of its most rabid, live-and-die-by-loving-this-city-I've-Idealized-in-my-head fanboys? Yeah, it usually is. There are definitely people irrationally in love with the "idea" of a certain place-- often they didn't grow up there, and spent years fantasizing about it, and will totally overlook the reality or legitimate downsides of the place once they get there (if they ever get there.) But in general, if people tell you they love a certain place, it's kinda silly to try to argue that they're "wrong" or that there's any kind of factual, objective rating system we could apply to cities and rank them from best to worst as far as "are they worth their praise." I could find someone to use as an example of "here's someone who really overrates x kind of food", but really their overzealousness for anything will never have any bearing on how much I like or dislike a certain type of food.

I lived in Paris for a while, and I don't think it's over-rated. Culturally, you have lots of concerts, lots of places to go out, museums, lots of nice places to walk in, etc.
Paris is kinda magic, I don't know, I love to walk in this city. It's been two years and a half that I'm not anymore in Paris, and I miss it a lot.
Yes you have lots of immigrant and gipsies (like in lots of big cities) , but if you are a minimum careful, there's strictly no problem.
Tourist places are over-rated, I agree. I don't understand why people do tens of thousand kilometers to go and see an amount of iron.
In Paris, to eat, you MUST know where are the good restaurants, never stop to a random restaurant...it can be really disgusting and also very expensive.

If one of you come to Paris, and if I am there at this moment (I'm less and less there unfortunately), I would be happy to bring you out for bars or museums, walks or whatever.