Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone think cities like New York, Paris and London are over-rated?
Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:The Old world ones are nightmares of logistics (never heard of a Grid System Europe? Sheesh!) the New world ones are a horror of linear lines and its a God Forsaken Grid which just does not exist in nature! (see can't please me)....

Yes, the grid system is logical and easy to follow but unfortunately you can't undo 2,000 years of history to create it. The city of Pella in Greece where Alexander the Great was born, is laid out in a grid system. The layout of many old European cities has its own maddening charm.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Well, I can only hope to ever visit such places.

hmmm... I can't really compare how are things here cause my little piece of land is scarcely populated and the capital takes up for a third of the whole country's population.

I am a city boy but what we call cities would hardly pass as small towns in the north I'm sure, except Santiago.

All I know is that Santiago is hectic, people are not nice comparatively (for the most part), life is stressful, crime rates are higher.

But is also has the best hospitals, the best unis, a great amount of cultural venues, the best jobs, oh and yes, almost the only place where you can "be gay".

I would assume these major cities are exactly like that, pros and cons, but well, times 10..

If I ever go I'll let you know

OlderButWiser Wrote:Actually its 105% of Parisians, but only 98% of Massalians Laugh2

ObW
X
:biggrin:

Ok, so I'm rude, thanks Sad

MisterTinkles Wrote:It is kind of difficult NOT to focus on the bad stuff, when thats ALL YOU GET FROM PEOPLE THERE!!!!

I was stuck in CA for 4 years, and I only found these kinds of people.......50% of the people there were hateful, corrupt, and trying to steal from you, 45% were trying to literally kill you, 9% were disgusting beggars (coming up in your face and DEMANDING money), and 1% were actual human beings.

I was stuck in Texas for over 3 years, and discovered about 80% of the people there are hateful, corrupt, and/or trying to steal from you, 19% will try to literally kill you, a small handful of beggars in the cities, and 1% actual human beings. Not sure that's any better. Smile

But I'm quite sure that only some parisians are unhelpful. Most are shy and don't dare to speak English. Personnally, someone asks me some help, I would help him with pleasure, and for sure I'm not the only one, far from that...

Ekwarph Wrote:But I'm quite sure that only some parisians are unhelpful. Most are shy and don't dare to speak English. Personnally, someone asks me some help, I would help him with pleasure, and for sure I'm not the only one, far from that...

More than half the time, when I ask them something in my less-than-perfect French, they immediately switch to English...

I'm not a big fan of crowded places, but I don't think New York, Paris and London are over-rated. I like to wander off the main tracks. I know London quite well, have visited Paris a few times and New York twice. Wandering off the main streets nearly got me in trouble in Belfast.

It is always a relief to get back to my home though. Quiet and remote is how I prefer things.

davearoo Wrote:More than half the time, when I ask them something in my less-than-perfect French, they immediately switch to English...

You may be right. I don't know. I often hear French people speaking in French abroad...and expecting others to speak French...that really pisses me off.

Ekwarph Wrote:... I often hear French people speaking in French abroad...and expecting others to speak French...that really pisses me off.
I'm not really aware of that, but I feel the same about native English speakers. After being in a relationship with a French man for more than a decade my French should be better than it is, but he is bilingual and I am lazy. I always attempt French first when conducting transactions in France or (French-speaking) Switzerland. My accent must be very distressing to the Gallic ear, because people often come to my rescue and start speaking English.

Well I live in London and have visited the other two, so here's my take;

London: Overrated, no. Overpriced, YES! This place is so expensive it's ridiculous. Despite having lived here all my life, I catch myself sometimes thinking damn, Londoners really do pay a premium. It has it's ups and downs but this is home for me and on the whole, I love it.

Paris: Not overrated. I found it to be really scenic and had some amazing things to experience. The Parisian hospitality isn't anything to write home about but the people generally seem to be welcoming.

New York: Overrated, HELL NO! I loved that place. Maybe because I was a tourist and got swept away with the bright lights and famous buildings, but even just walking the streets of NY felt special. What I loved the most was how expressive people are there. It really didn't matter who you were or what you dressed like, everyone just seemed so chilled and accepting. I wish London was a bit more like that.