Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Events that changed you life forever.
I've said this here before. but getting my first power wheelchair. For those that walk. you might take that for granted. but my first power chair was me getting "legs." Monumental for me.

Mick

artyboy Wrote:Well I got a few different events that changed my life forever.

The first was getting arrested when I was 15 for Common Assault, all I did was back handed another lad for calling me C****. His parents were on the board of governors of the school so the police were rang and I end up getting put into a cop car and end up in the cells while my mum came and got me. But from that time on I just wanted to get out of school, so I just got into my work and left that school with 7 GCSEs and went to college and ended up with a Degree.

The 2rd event was passing my driving test and getting my first car.

The 3rd was finding my local (pub) and actually having a social life, I even had a job lol!

The 4th was getting beaten up at uni, from that day on I couldn't get off the floor without people helping and my condition seems to gotten worse ever since.

The 5th was finding the best bit of road Ive ever been along, I just felt happiest Ive ever been, the sun was out, I was in a car I turned and modded myself with music playing. That's my happy place I go to when things are bad.

There was the time I found about the condition when I was 7 when I thought my whole world has ended, everything I ever wanted to do and want to be went out the window. I might of only been 7 but I knew what I wanted to be. I was like one of them kids that knew they wanted to be a teacher or doctor. So ever since I have felt lost.

I'm really scared of my future as I know things are going to get really bad. I might even have to decide if I want to life any more. So you can guess how big it might end up. I just hope they bring in a drug to treat my condition, though I feel it might be too late. So I'm waiting it seems for that " Events that changed you life forever. "

Please try to remain confident artyboy, you do not know what the future holds. We tend to look at life in a negative way, but why does the positive have to be any less realistic? Hopefully as you have said you will be able to get the treatment you need in the future, untill then try to remain strong. Smile

There are many events that changed my life which I want to keep private. But one of the smaller ones I don't mind sharing. I discovered at age 18 that I have 2 older sisters from my father's side, fortunately after 3 or 4 years failing to find them with lack of info, I did however found out that they knew about my existence but didn't want anything to do with me, so I stopped searching. I also found out that they have been living 15 to 20 minutes away from me.

I'm happy tho because all those terrible events led me to the person I am today.

Ammon Wrote:There are many events that changed my life which I want to keep private. But one of the smaller ones I don't mind sharing. I discovered at age 18 that I have 2 older sisters from my father's side, fortunately after 3 or 4 years failing to find them with lack of info, I did however found out that they knew about my existence but didn't want anything to do with me, so I stopped searching. I also found out that they have been living 15 to 20 minutes away from me.

I'm happy tho because all those terrible events led me to the person I am today.

I can definitely relate to that, Ammon.
I was adopted at birth and think my parents told me that when I was about five and it was no big deal. My DAD is one super easy going fun guy, an MD who I've never heard say a bad word about anyone.

At 21 while in the US naval hospital in DC for a surgery a routine blood test led to me being diagnosed with a pretty rare but not unmanagable hereditary disease that I would have known about had I been with my birth parents because they'd have been diagnosed or died of it by that time.

That made me want to find my birth parents. I found my birth mother on a first try on facebook. She had her maiden name along with her married name on her profile. Two daughters, one son and a grandson.

All I did was include a pic of me, my name and my birth date, where I lived and tell her to contact me if she wanted to chat. I didn't mention that I was her son because I wasn't 100% certain.

She wrote back that putting her maiden name on her profile was her way of hoping I'd contact her one day. Her children knew nothing about me and she didn't know how to handle it. I understood and didn't push it. She did tell me I looked exactly like my dad but she wasn't sure how I could contact him.

Some weeks passed and messaged me that my birth father lived only 250 miles from me and where he was working. Without telling anyone I took a drive one weekend to go to the gas station he owns. Here's where things got weird. There was a guy about 16-18 sweeping the parking lot when I drove up. As soon as I saw him I knew he was my brother. When I walked in the store the girl at the register saw me and went to the office door behind the register and I heard her tell someone, "I thought so-and so was your oldest son."

My birth father peeped out at me and closed the office door after we looked each other in the face. Outside by half brother started talking about my jeep and I had close to a five minute conversation with him. He caught up with me on facebook and we still chat off and on but I've never said a thing about us being brothers. BUT... when he posted a bit about him feeling bad and some other symptoms I replied he needed to be his blood tested for hemochromatosis, When he messaged back after he was diagnosed asking how I knew all I told him was "My dad's a doctor." Once he was diagnosed the doctors rediagnosed his father's cirrosis of the liver as coming from hemochromatosis and not from alcohol. He's not doing good now he's gone that far untreated.

Maybe after "our father" is dead I'll get around to telling him we're brothers. This is the 1st time I've told anyone but my BF about this.

Well,

I've had a bit of a roller coaster of a life and still on it. Currently going through a life changing experience at the moment (starting life over, new career, moving cross-country)

I've learned to take life in strides and not let it overwhelm me, if I did, I'd lose my mind and jump off a cliff without hesitation.

There are far too many things I can open up about here, but I really would prefer not to scare people with all the horrifying, explicit and graphic details.

In a way, being an optimist, I'm always looking for that next change to shape my life, even if it's "bad" at first , because ultimately, in the end, you learn, grow and become a better person for enduring the changes in your life that shape you.

ETOTE Wrote:Well,

I've had a bit of a roller coaster of a life and still on it. Currently going through a life changing experience at the moment (starting life over, new career, moving cross-country)

I've learned to take life in strides and not let it overwhelm me, if I did, I'd lose my mind and jump off a cliff without hesitation.

There are far too many things I can open up about here, but I really would prefer not to scare people with all the horrifying, explicit and graphic details.

In a way, being an optimist, I'm always looking for that next change to shape my life, even if it's "bad" at first , because ultimately, in the end, you learn, grow and become a better person for enduring the changes in your life that shape you.

I don't know if this will help you any but I used to be hot tempered and easily sent off into a week long pity party over anything that rubbed me the wrong way. Then my best friend hit me with some words that were like a sledgehammer. He told me to stop being an emotional slave to the external things around me. All our emotions are generated from within and can be controlled. Sure I get sad about things but not like I used to. In fact I don't remember the last time I got mad at anyone for anything. Even when things are going crappy for me I find something about it to laugh about. I've also found my cheerful moods contaminate everyone around me for the better... most the time.

My room mate hates when I get up in the morning and give my dogs singing lessons before he's out of bed, but screw him. My dogs are nearly ready to go perform on television. They do great back up vocals for "Moves Like Jagger." hahahahahaha! They have the high notes down!

^omg, that is hilarious.

Yeah I totally get what you're saying and I agree, we do have control of our emotions or at least we have the choice to not be controlled by them. It it what has kept me sane, to keep a healthy distance to emotions so they don't overpower my overall positive state of mind.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:50 comes faster than one thinks... I'm within spitting distance, which to me is a surprise because the plan was to die before I was 40 and leave behind a beautiful corpse.

I still have yet to figure out what to do when I grow up.... Xyxthumbs

LOL...My elf! My best friend and I (when we were in our twenties) used to have a motto, "Live fast! Die Young! Stay Pretty!" It was a war chant of sorts. Here we both are thirty years later...also trying to figure out what to do when we grow up! Rofl

Well, I'm a bit interested in getting older as slowly as possible. I don't mean being irresponsible but just leaving lots of room for feeling young as long as I can.

Finding my Brother dead in our bedroom when I was 8 / 9 (thereabouts)

Coming home from school a year later and discovering my mother hanging in the shower

Discovering the power of unmitigated violence at 13 / 14

Being told to "Fuck-off out my house" by my father when I was 16

Being given foster custody of my son Chris when he was 14

And The most significant note in my Diary: -
Ayden my grand-son born @ 13:50 today (25-08-2009) and weighed in at 3Kg. (almost 4 years to the date as I pen this tale…

Standing in the maternity hospital I watched the circle of life become complete, as Ayden, wrapped in swaddling cloth, all pink and wrinkly, was handed to Chris by the nurse.

I think, of all the moments in my life, watching Chris, all of 6ft 4 in tears, trying figure out how to wrap his dinner-plates-for-hands around that tiny child, his first-born son, was definitely the most beautiful thing I have ever experienced.