Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freaky incident (gay activist vs homophobic Christian)
A good friend of mine was in the military here in the U.S. He went to the language school in California for Hebrew. He's significantly older than I, so don't assume he's my age. He has studied the Bible, so when you say that there's a clear condemnation of homosexuality at Leviticus 20:13, you should know:

1) The Bible has been translated many, many times, with subtle influences from each language and the translator.

2) There is a valid question as to whether Leviticus 20:13 is really saying homosexuality is wrong. There are more than a few people who know the nuances of ancient languages/culture who believe that it is a more modern interpretation and the original intent of the message was to say that when having sex with another man, you shouldn't do it like you would with a woman. Not that you shouldn't do it.

3) There are religious scholars who admit that the Bible is likely not the word of a supposed "GOD" but most likely written by men.

Quote:And the Bible clearly condemns homosexuality, no question about it (Leviticus 20:13)

The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals, it's just that they need more supervision.

- Lynn Lavner‎
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

CCRox Wrote:The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals, it's just that they need more supervision.

- Lynn Lavner‎

Lol CCRox! I love this comment!!!

CCRox Wrote:The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals, it's just that they need more supervision.

- Lynn Lavner‎

I'm not a theologian and I don't want to jump to conclusions but the biblical text clearly condemns homosexuality.

Interpretation is, however, a complex science. There are other elements that should probably be taken into consideration, especially when you're interpreting a book as complex as this one, e.g. culture and history.

MisterLove Wrote:I'm not a theologian and I don't want to jump to conclusions but the biblical text clearly condemns homosexuality.

Interpretation is, however, a complex science. There are other elements that should probably be taken into consideration, especially when you're interpreting a book as complex as this one, e.g. culture and history.

Bear in mind that translation can muddle interpretation. I have not researched it to verify the validity of the claim in the video, but the word "abomination" in Hebrew (as is used in Leviticus in reference to homosexuality) does not have a moral connotation. I don't recall what the video said this Hebrew word actually means, but it is far from what we perceive abomination to mean.

One thing that keeps standing out to me is the biggest argument that they make in the video. Those that do not condemn homosexuality interpret the passages with culture and context in mind...they don't read everything literally. There are many instructions in Leviticus that Christians have no problem ignoring (eating pork or shrimp, working on the Sabbath, wearing clothes made out of more than one type of material, etc.). I used to be a very hard-nosed Christian and took the Bible completely literally but I did not follow it literally (still ate pork, etc.). I have come to realize that I took this stance in the past because I could not accept who I was so I used my faith to repress myself. I've since been in a spiritual battle but this video really helped me to see things from a different and more accepting perspective.

The bottom line is - and you already stated this very thing - it all comes down to interpretation. I have yet to personally come across anyone that interprets the Bible literally to actually follow its teachings literally.

Actually, campaigning like she did and getting a law repealed flies straight in the face of Timothy's rules for women (new testament). O.o

I am glad I didn't watch...are we REALLY talking about Anita Bryant??????

I am stunned that any gay man would be worried about a pie in her face after what she did. Please tell me that you didn't know.

These same types of people today are crafting laws in places like Uganda because the Bible "tells them so".....

East Wrote:These same types of people today are crafting laws in places like Uganda because the Bible "tells them so".....

For those who don't know already the anti-gay laws in Uganda (and being pushed in other 3rd world nations) are the product of Scott Lively, an American fundamentalist. Every gay person in the world should know about him and his organization.
http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/in...ott-lively
His book "The Pink Swastika" is a totally fictitious account of homosexuals being founding members of Hitler's Nazi Party, and is still being printed and circulated.
read it here along with "rave reviews" Google the organizations of the reviewers
http://www.defendthefamily.com/pfrc/book..._final.htm
or quick summary from wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pink_Swastika

In his own words.....
"The gay movement is an evil institution [whose] goal is to defeat the marriage-based society and replace it with a culture of sexual promiscuity in which there’s no restrictions on sexual conduct except the principle of mutual choice."– Conference in Kampala, Uganda, March 2009
He's been indicted and will stand trial for crimes against humanity
http://www.back2stonewall.com/2014/01/ju...ganda.html

He's a close associate of Bryan Fischer of The American Family Association that has been recognized by the US government as a Hate Group
http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/in...ssociation
Watch this video and see how the media is portraying this hate group.... be enraged

Some may find this video of interest:

MIKE!!!!!!!
I've watched that video before and post links to it all the time! Talk about impressive!
I'm glad you posted it.

With the talk in earlier comments about the Bible's prohibitions against homosexuality, I started trying to get links to a woman I heard 2 years ago at the Metropolitan Community Church in Brisbane.

I'm surprised how few people know about Mel White, who worked for Falwell and Roberston before coming out and moving to MCC. Anyone who gets a chance to meet or hear Papa Mel speak ought to. He's a lethal weapon around the freaky fundamentalists because he knows them all and isn't afraid to make them look like the boneheads they are.
Here's Mel taking on Tony Perkins 7 minutes

Here he is years ago featured on 60 minutes I think. 5 minutes.

There's LOADS more of MEL on youtube.