Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay Marriage
A friend of mine recently said "Why are we fighting for gay marriage when it's been proven that marriage doesn't work in the first place ... shouldn't we be fighting to take marriage out of government period?"

thoughts?

Its how marrage is used, till death do us part - no!

Their was a morning show discussing: 10 years come hell or high water.
Then allowing the couple to split up after 10 years if it doesn't work.

yes - that's the social part of marriage

but why is the government involved in the first place

he really made me think about it

the "till death" part is religious

the government part is money

should'nt they stay out of all our lives .. homo or hetero?

Marriage has always been a religious and legal thing. In ancient Greece and Rome, marriages were sacred, but they were a contract between families. Dowrys and estates were linked by marriage.

Marriage today has the same ideals, both religious and legal. Its difficult since religion wants to label homosexuals immoral and unnatural. However, on the legal standpoint, I have no idea why thats even an issue.

Its a very difficult subject.

very .. but is he right .. are we fighting the wrong fight????

I think he might be!

I think we are very lucky here in the UK

I don't want to "marry" Michael even though we have been together 13 years, although I would like some kind of recognition

we have the "Civil Partnership" I have been to a few now and it all looks quite good

You never know I may finally get him to make an honest woman of me

Laugh1 Laugh1 Laugh1

As for GCD comments I kinda agree with you

xxxxxx

To be honest I think to say that marriage doesn't work is rather skeptical - perhaps I'd agree with saying it doesn't work for everybody, but that's as far as I'd go ...

So I think that marriage as an arrangement and an institution is worth fighting for, for hetero- and homosexual couples alike ...

I think there are a number of things which undermine the stability of marriage, such as the relative ease of divorce, and I think that many people don't fully consider what getting married means, as you hear of people getting married for better tax benefits ... or getting married because it means they can reduce their health insurance contributions or similar (which to me is missing the point entirely) ... added to which of course, the social climate of present day first-world society tends to be much more forgiving and understanding, so there is far less stigma attached to all sorts of things both good and bad nowadays - homosexuality, single-mothers, divorce, etc., etc., than there has been historically ... and so I think perhaps many people's views on marriage are becoming less stringent and less formalised ... which is why the institution of marriage seems to be getting a bit shaky.

My my that was deep of me for a Monday morning !?!

Welcome back by the way GayComputerDude - we missed you Confusedmile: xx.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

Maybe I just expect to be able to make the same mistakes as anyone else ... Wink

GayComputerDude Wrote:A friend of mine recently said "Why are we fighting for gay marriage when it's been proven that marriage doesn't work in the first place ... shouldn't we be fighting to take marriage out of government period?"

thoughts?

Marriage is the natural and fundamental group unit of society .And marriage works if you're committed to make it work . But now the liberals and anti-father feminists have teamed up to promote divorce, tear apart families, pauperize and criminalize fathers, and swell the power of the state.But I agree that gay marriage should not be legal .

xyalfa Wrote:Marriage is the natural and fundamental group unit of society .And marriage works if you're committed to make it work . But now the liberals and anti-father feminists have teamed up to promote divorce, tear apart families, pauperize and criminalize fathers, and swell the power of the state.But I agree that gay marriage should not be legal .

you sound bitter! we should talk! you didn't say alot of words but I kind of understood what you're trying to say .. but you sound bitter!