Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glee is rubish!!!
Awww don't feel like a troll! A couple comments like banning all TV might have been a bit far (imo) but we can move onward & forward, and there's been some good debate about not just Glee but media in general, so don't regret starting the post. HUGS

I feel bad as I was just posting as a joke but it got out of hand and I dont want to upset people!!!

Thunderstormin here so hoping the power stays on... but it's all cool Smile

I'm of to bed and hope I've see this post drop like a lead balloon lol!

Twazzle Wrote:Up until that point in the UK the big stars at the time. The Girl bands were dying out, boybands were selling out, Dance acts were big, and artists like Fatboy slim, the offspring were at the top of the charts - then came Britney - which was completely out of sync from the rest and im sure if you are as well educated in music as you are trying to make out you will appreciate from those acts Britney spears was completely different. (Unless you are too stubborn to accept it, Again Im focusing on UK music as I am British and that is where my knowledge is based). Britney and Christina just to make it clear are nothing alike and if you have heard both sing live you will appreciate there is a massive difference Smile

Oh btw did I miss the point where I said I liked her music or is that something you fabricated? Rolleyes

Ok, well, I certainly don't claim to be an expert in music, though I can see you are not either. There are few who are, really. Here is the thing: you claimed that Britney Spears, a woman who cannot play an instrument, founded an entirely new genera of music. So, lets start there.

A music genre is a categorical and typological construct that identifies musical sounds as belonging to a particular category and type of music that can be distinguished from other types of music.

Google's top reference for Musical genera:

HIP hop
Rock
Jazz

Country
Pop
Reggae

Classical
Folk
R B

In Wikipedia, it states that BS: following her debut, Spears was credited with leading the revival of teen pop in the late 1990s.

notice how it says revival, not creation.

Furthermore, to be actually credited with creating a new style let alone an entire genera of music, one actually has to compose music, which Britney does not.

Teen Pop:

The first major wave of teen pop after the counterculture of the 1960s and 1970s occurred in the mid to late 1980s, with artists such as Menudo, Debbie Gibson, Tiffany and New Kids on the Block.[1][2] In the early 1990s, teen pop dominated the charts until grunge and gangster rap crossed over into the mainstream in North America by late 1991. Teen pop remained popular in the United Kingdom with the boy band Take That during this period, until the mid 1990s when Britpop became the next major wave in the UK, eclipsing the style similar to how grunge did in North America.[2]
In 1996 the girl group Spice Girls released their single "Wannabe", which made them major pop stars in the UK, as well as in the US the following year. In their wake, other teen pop groups and singers came to prominence, including Hanson, the Backstreet Boys, *NSYNC, Robyn and All Saints.[1][2] In 1999, the success of teenaged pop-singers Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Jessica Simpson and Mandy Moore marked the development of what Allmusic refers to as the "pop Lolita" trend,[1][2] sparking the short careers of future pop singers such as Willa Ford, Brooke Allison, Svala, Jamie-Lynn Sigler, Mikaila, and Kaci. In 2001 artists like Aaron Carter and boy band Dream Street were teen pop artists. Alternate "looks" for female teen pop stars include Hoku, Avril Lavigne, Hilary Duff and girl group No Secrets. Another popular girl group was Play. Britpop surged with Atomic Kitten and Billie Piper.
Popular girl groups included Dream, Play, Destiny's Child, and the Spice Girls.

So, Britney Spears is not responsible for creating a new genera of music. Indeed, teen pop dates back to the American swing era if you read the full article.

Britney Spears is the product of the hard work of producers:

Rami Yacoub who co-produced Spears's debut album with lyricist Max Martin, commented, "I know from Denniz Pop and Max's previous productions, when we do songs, there's kind of a nasal thing. With N' Sync and the Backstreet Boys, we had to push for that mid-nasal voice. When Britney did that, she got this kind of raspy, sexy voice."[147]

Oops!...I Did It Again and subsequent albums saw Spears working with several contemporary R&B producers, leading to "a combination of bubblegum, urban soul, and raga."

Critic Allan Raible derides her overdependence in Circus on digital effects and the robotic effect it creates. "She’s never been a strong vocalist..." writes Raible, "Could she handle these songs with stripped down arrangements and no vocal effects? More importantly, would anyone want to hear her attempt such a performance? Does it matter? No. The focus is still image over substance."[155]

" Spears is no technical singer, that's for sure. But backed by Martin and Dr. Luke's wall of pound, her vocals melt into a mix of babytalk coo and coital panting that is, in its own overprocessed way, just as iconic and propulsive as Michael Jackson's yips or Eminem's snarls."[159]

"There could have been some instances where people actually go and purchase a ticket thinking that they're going to have a live performance ... for some people that means that everything is live, it's fresh, it happens instantaneously, it's not something that's been pre-recorded. You want to make sure that they're actually paying for what they think they're getting."[162] Noting on the prevalence of lip-syncing, Los Angeles Daily News reported "in the context of a Britney Spears concert, does it really matter? Like a Vegas revue show, you don't go to hear the music, you go for the somewhat-ridiculous spectacle of it all"

Many critics have argued that Spears should not be considered in the same league of talent as Jackson or Madonna. Journalists Erika Montalvo and Jackie Sheppard of the Rocky Mountain Collegian observed "[s]ome may argue that Spears is not only a good recording artist but also an important cultural icon."[169] However, in examining her level of skill as an artist, it is questioned that "[a]lthough she has been classified among female elites such as Janet Jackson and Madonna, what does Ms. Spears really have in common with these divas of rock?"[169] Joan Anderman of The Boston Globe remarked that "[t]hirteen costume changes in 90 minutes won't bless her with Madonna's intelligence or cultural barometer. An army of cutting-edge R&B producers won't supply her with Janet Jackson's sense of humor or sincere smile ... Britney's heroes aren't great singers. But they're real singers. Spears sounds robotic, nearly inhuman, on her records, so processed is her voice by digital pitch-shifters and synthesizers."[170]

Ther you go honey, a girl who's voice is heavily edited, whose music is written for her, who lip sinks at concerts, who's style is created by producers, and who has no claim to originality, creativity, or--from what I have seen--much of a brain at all:

E.G.

Right can I ask again why is everyone focusing on Britney when the thread was about Glee? Also Winteris what is your problem - on every single thread you try to put people down by going into some rant about how you know everything which you clearly don't. At the end of the day my comment was Britney achieved a lot and she is a mega star which she is - then you came along trying to rip that apart when its true - even if she is the creation of some producer she still became massive unlike any other singer at the time. I also dont recall saying she founded a new genre of music - I stated she brought about a new genre relating to the UK music charts - something you lack knowledge in greatly so it is making your comments completely irrelevant.

At the end of the day you can 'Honey' me all you want thinking you got one over on me, but all it does is make you look like a tosser to be honest Confusedmile: If you actually had something worth while to put in and acted like a human being that wants to take the topic for what it is - EG about GLEE and Britney Spears being a star that featured in it then your comments would be worth while - but no you took it as a way to rant about something you clearly have issues with trying to crush everybody that disagrees with you.

You do annoy me because even after what everyone said before you posted you still want to carry on like a spoilt little child yet you are 30 years old?! Man I think somebody needs to get a grip on life :confused: Please do not reply to my comment because you are very annoying and basically just a argumentative brat is the only way I can describe you trying to argue with everyone in every blog - even in the blog about what do the young think will happen in the future - you completely slate someone elses opinion? Man GROW UP???
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]

Oh, yes, I promised in another forum to add a little Critical Theory. I think Britney Spears exemplifies what the French phillosopher, Jean Baudrillard calls, simulacrum.

"Where Plato saw two steps of reproduction — faithful and intentionally distorted (simulacrum) — Baudrillard sees four: (1) basic reflection of reality, (2) perversion of reality; (3) pretence of reality (where there is no model); and (4) simulacrum, which 'bears no relation to any reality whatsoever.'"

Where Britney Spears is a representation of a musician but so far removed from that reflection of reality (a real musician) that she "bears no relation to any reality [of a musician] whatsoever."

Twazzle Wrote:Right can I ask again why is everyone focusing on Britney when the thread was about Glee? Also Winteris what is your problem - on every single thread you try to put people down by going into some rant about how you know everything which you clearly don't. At the end of the day my comment was Britney achieved a lot and she is a mega star which she is - then you came along trying to rip that apart when its true - even if she is the creation of some producer she still became massive unlike any other singer at the time. I also dont recall saying she founded a new genre of music - I stated she brought about a new genre relating to the UK music charts - something you lack knowledge in greatly so it is making your comments completely irrelevant.

At the end of the day you can 'Honey' me all you want thinking you got one over on me, but all it does is make you look like a tosser to be honest Confusedmile: If you actually had something worth while to put in and acted like a human being that wants to take the topic for what it is - EG about GLEE and Britney Spears being a star that featured in it then your comments would be worth while - but no you took it as a way to rant about something you clearly have issues with trying to crush everybody that disagrees with you.

You do annoy me because even after what everyone said before you posted you still want to carry on like a spoilt little child yet you are 30 years old?! Man I think somebody needs to get a grip on life :confused: Please do not reply to my comment because you are very annoying and basically just a argumentative brat is the only way I can describe you trying to argue with everyone in every blog - even in the blog about what do the young think will happen in the future - you completely slate someone elses opinion? Man GROW UP???

Well, thank you for your opinion. I do try to support mine with facts. I'm sorry if you feel threatened by factual information. I will try and avoid the use of them with you in the future. But, I welcome you to review my comments and find where I made disparaging remarks directed at you in anyway. You were the one who resorted to such tactics just because I disagreed with you. Perhaps you should look in the mirror next time you feel like resorting to personal insults.