Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going to the gym
To be honest I would rate advice from a good dietitian to be just as important as getting a personal trainer. I have been seeing a dietitian since +/- March and have lost loads more than when I was blindly going to the gym religiously. Someone told me weight loss is predominantly what you put in your mouth** rather than how you exercise although obviously for the health reason I mention above I gave to exercise as well.

** no, I don't think they were referring to cock Wink

Just going by your picture, your upper body is a lot more developed than your lower body. Couldn't hurt to bulk up a little bit down there. As far as overall weight, though, you're still light enough to fly through the air and dodge ICBM's, so I think you're doing alright.

I've lost 5 pounds since I started working out. I know its not a lot but its something, now I just gotta keep on going.

lauj Wrote:I've lost 5 pounds since I started working out. I know its not a lot but its something, now I just gotta keep on going.

Hey, it's okay to be more proud than that! Well done and good luck! Smile

lauj Wrote:So I started going back to the gym with a buddy of mine. He is into body building and stuff. So I tell him I just want to lose some weight and be toned a little. to be honest I don't think he listens that well. He tells me to do this push, pull, leg, workout. In my opinion, I don't think they are for losing weight but for gaining muscles. Its like he tells me to do the workouts that will work for him. I'm really dumb when it comes to working out and I usually end up pulling something (not his penis). So maybe i'll do his workout for awhile and see how that works out. This is kind of off subject but I can't really take working out seriously with my friend. Every time he is doing curls and stuff, he grunts so loud its so funny and I'm trying not to laugh.
Weirdly enough, I might be able to help you with this, but I need more details. Example, how tall are you? How much do you weigh? How old are you? Etc.

General principals:

1: Make a distinction in your mind between "loosing weight" and "loosing fat." One can gain weight (muscle) while loosing fat.

2: If your aim is to loose fat, first thing you should know is that 80% of that is diet. If you're eating too much or the wrong things at the wrong time of day, it doesn't matter how much you work out; you will not loose fat.

3: It is true that gaining muscle will help you in a LOT of ways, burning more calories is only one. However, although the adage that gaining muscle helps to burn fat is true, it isn't a 'significant' factor.

4: I strongly encourage young people to get into body building for all kinds of reasons. You'll feel better, look better (sexier) Tongue3 and generally have more fun in life. (This is my opinion.) "Body building" does not mean becoming an ox; it means maximizing your genetic potential for muscle growth. (Most guys who are oxen do or have used 'juice'.)

5: Some people worry about "getting bulky". Absolutely no need to worry about that at all. It is DAMN HARD to bulk and, unless your genetics are 'just right' (99.99% aren't) you *can not* bulk without a lot of hard work and eating a LOT more than one usually does. I mean like twice as much--AND it all has to be the 'right stuff at the right time'.

6: Getting "toned" or "defined" has more to do with percentage of body fat than it does with muscle development. This is a bit of a gray area but generally speaking we all already *are* more muscular than we know (depends on somatic body type / genetics / athleticism etc.). We don't see it because of the fatty deposits under the skin (subcutaneous) that 'smooth over' what muscle we do have.

7: If you look sort of like this…

[Image: misc-ed-vanstone-before-bulk-blog-120120...um_new.jpg]

and you want to look more like this …

[Image: free-shipping-skinny-men_s-swimming-shor...trunks.jpg]

it can be done but it requires a dedicated diet and workout plan followed consistently for (depending on your age and genetics) about 3 years to achieve.

If you want to look more like this:

[Image: how-to-get-abs1.jpg]

again, depending on variables, it will take about five years and *super* dedication to diet protocols.

Questions? Tongue3

I am slim and I cant weight gain

As others have said above, lifting weights is going to help you lose fat. Don't worry about getting bulkier, and even cardio is not quite as important as you may think, diet is first, exercise second.

Diet is the key to it all, the lifting and cardio alone will only take you so far if your diet isn't right.

I started swimming since last May and my body weight turned from 77kgs to 60kgs. Apart from that I also gained some muscle on my arms and legs. My diet remained as usual as I never had any plan to reduce my body weight.

reaper Wrote:Diet is the key to it all, the lifting and cardio alone will only take you so far if your diet isn't right.

That's the the key to it. Before you start you need to either study up on nutrition or go to someone who can advice you about it and then stick to it.

Then any type of aerobics and cardio will do 3 or 4 times as much good as without the right diet. I came home this morning and did 30 hard minutes on the nordictrack and did it again just now.

Since everyone likes sitting at the computer keep milkjugs full of sand on either side then get in the habit of reps to work arms and shoulders while you read. I keep a bench without weights in my room just to remind to use it for leg lifts, sit ups crunches and push ups.