Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good People / Bad People
Here's a good read explaining the differences between sociopath and psychopath....

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/20...sociopath/
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

IMO, good people vs bad people is ALL about intent. Not just intent visible to observers, but that secret intent that is spurred by inner inspiration.

Good: altruistic, unselfish, caring, etc

Bad: malicious, self-serving, apathetic, etc

TigerLover Wrote:A child is a blank slate that can be formed into a monster or a hero.

And I think both are biased and wrong. A child should be let to explore on his own and make up his own mind on things. Not to be influenced in either direction.

I also think different people have differing degrees of susceptibility. Some take what their parents (or other authority figures) say as absolute truth, others reject it, or see through it very early on.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

Emiliano Wrote:But as our founding fathers wrote the constitution and designed the way this country would be governed, claimed that all men are created equal, they owned slaves that they saw as property rather than human, ...
Actually the slaves were worth 3/5 of a human being. I'm not sure why this count, but I guess it had its purpose for tally of some kind.

princealbertofb Wrote:Actually the slaves were worth 3/5 of a human being. I'm not sure why this count, but I guess it had its purpose for tally of some kind.

I'm too mentally exhausted to keep ranting on here and then feeling like an ass for stepping on toes, hurting feelings, and revealing more about myself than I care to. I'm too mentally exhausted to process much of anything in this world anymore.

I will say that it had little to do with seeing any humanity in slaves, even 3/5ths of humanity and that it had everything to do with making sure the people with the power kept the power. But isn't that what everything's about anyway?

Emiliano Wrote:I'm too mentally exhausted to keep ranting on here and then feeling like an ass for stepping on toes, hurting feelings, and revealing more about myself than I care to. I'm too mentally exhausted to process much of anything in this world anymore.

I will say that it had little to do with seeing any humanity in slaves, even 3/5ths of humanity and that it had everything to do with making sure the people with the power kept the power. But isn't that what everything's about anyway?

Oh yes, absolutely. I've been watching The Help with my kids in school, and it definitely is about keeping one's place at the top of the heap.

I think good and bad people wouldnt be defined according to one person.

Something bad can be a good for another one. For example, drinking alcohol is not a bad thing to me, but it could be bad for another person. Or being extremist could be a bad thing to me, and it can be good for another one.

Because we cannot define those behaviours strictly, we couldnt define what a good or a bad person is.
But maybe we can put some standards like people without bad intentions, or people who doesnt harm anything.

Oh yes, this thread... well. I guess speaking for the majority of people I run into on a daily basis, we're mostly good people, we generally don't intend to harm people...but we do. Most of us are complete hypocrites. For instance, we often say things you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, then we judge people by their appearance...which is really right? Neither. I mean if you're walking around wal-mart (shopping) who appears to be a tweaker (on meth) you probably think he's on meth, they just have "that look" about them right? Or maybe, maybe he has parkinson's disease?

Ah but what is good and what is bad is only to the eye of the beholder. I think most here would agree killing gay people is a bad thing, but to the people doing it they're doing a good thing...as fucked up as it seems.

What we can say though is that most would agree, globally, that killing people is a bad thing so kind of like herd immunity in vaccination we probably have to look at good and bad in similar respect perhaps... I mean is the color red that my eye sees the same red that your's sees? Hmmm.

Perhaps we should make use of the chat lounge in the corner (for those with less than 50 it will magically appear when you get there)... I think a live discussion on this might be pretty neat, just getting everyone on here at the same time and work out whatever technical issues (update your browsers) one might have....
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

InbetweenDreams Wrote:Oh yes, this thread... well. I guess speaking for the majority of people I run into on a daily basis, we're mostly good people, we generally don't intend to harm people...but we do. Most of us are complete hypocrites. For instance, we often say things you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, then we judge people by their appearance...which is really right? Neither. I mean if you're walking around wal-mart (shopping) who appears to be a tweaker (on meth) you probably think he's on meth, they just have "that look" about them right? Or maybe, maybe he has parkinson's disease?

Ah but what is good and what is bad is only to the eye of the beholder. I think most here would agree killing gay people is a bad thing, but to the people doing it they're doing a good thing...as fucked up as it seems.

What we can say though is that most would agree, globally, that killing people is a bad thing so kind of like herd immunity in vaccination we probably have to look at good and bad in similar respect perhaps... I mean is the color red that my eye sees the same red that your's sees? Hmmm.

Perhaps we should make use of the chat lounge in the corner (for those with less than 50 it will magically appear when you get there)... I think a live discussion on this might be pretty neat, just getting everyone on here at the same time and work out whatever technical issues (update your browsers) one might have....

You're quite right. Many would be against killing gays here. Those are the extremist ones of course. But I usually do it that way. I talk to a person, and if ethically we dont fit each other, I just respect them and if it's something extremist, I just get away from them.

For example, I would respect an utter hedonist person, but I wouldnt wanna be their friend. I think life is about finding the ones you can get along well with. Harming can be a standard for being a bad person maybe.